Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ISP email MX records  (Read 1124 times)

Offline W7it

• New Registration
ISP email MX records
« on: May 07, 2010, 00:16 »
Hi Rik and and everyone  :thumbs:

i have a quandry with ISP email MX records and google + windows live mail

the basics are this
my current ISP passes on emails sent to my .com domain to me using my .com email address MX record and my windows live email
my new ISP does not have this ability ( would be so much easier if they did but hey ho )
so i am trying to use Googles free service
Google is happy to use .com domains and send mail on its way

The control panel in my current ISP lets me add MX records for my email .com, i added all of the advised Google MX records
i set up my .com details within Google, it sent a verification , i verified and it was happy
within Googles own web browser mail software i can recieve emails now using my .com mail addy
using windows7 live mail to retrieve mail from Google i change relevant settings for pop and smtp also ports , using only what Google advise

when i try to recieve mail i am constantly asked for a password , i have tried all combinations of password i use and non work, so which password is required ??

Google account password
password currently used on my current ISP set in there control panel using there MX record ( i guess the 2 are tied together )

its frustrating as i can recieve the emails in the google browser email window but not in windows live mail

odviously i am doing something wrong but trying to find a definitive answer to this is like trudging through 6 feet of mud can any of you guys help

i also deleted my current ISP MX record which was first in the MX entry list leaving only the Google entrys but this had no affect

when my current ISP deletes me from there system what happens to the email MX records, do the google MX records remain in place and only there own entry is deleted or do all records get deleted ... its all a bit confusing tbh   

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: ISP email MX records
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:36 »
I really don't know what is happening, tbh. Have you contacted Google?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:52 »
Hi, and :welcome:

So, is this basically a password problem between Windows7 mail and Google mail?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 13:46 »
a more simple approach would be just to forward your email from your domain name to google. That's what I do and it avoids any of this hassle. Just a thought as it will get it working within 5 minutes.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum