Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Home Brew  (Read 3086 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Home Brew
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:44 »
It looks as if the government and its health police are trying to make the acquisition of booze more difficult and more expensive.  Now I've got a new kitchen (gloat :) ) I've started brewing my own again.  I used to make quite a bit of beer and wine for the family when I was younger and it's good to get back in the swing again.  I've started with five gallons each of lager and a Chardonnay-type wine.

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Home Brew
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:02 »
When's the tasting Gill?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:10 »
Where's the queue?  ;D

I, and some friends, did a bit of home brewing back in the 80s, but it was only from kits, and was never all that successful.  I think we managed one barrel of almost drinkable lager, but the bitter looked like a sheep dip.  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 12:31 »
My father was brewing beer at home even before The Blessed Reginald Maudling legalised it back in the early 60s.  He used kits quite successfully and I would help him.  Since then I've made quite a variety and most have been at least potable.  Some have actually been quite delectable.  My only unremitted disaster was an attempt to brew Guinness; it turned out white!  Although it tasted reasonable, I just couldn't bring myself to drink it.

I once gave my father a book called "Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy" by the late Dave Line, thinking it might encourage him to be a bit more adventurous.  He never got past the second recipe, which was a Fullers ESB taste-alike.  When I had a sip, I could quite understand why - it was lovely :) .

The inaugural lager tasting is scheduled for Friday 2 July.  Or thereabouts.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 12:37 »
I'll be in Scotland. I demand a postponement. ;D
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 13:27 »
All the more for us!  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 15:33 »
:music: Oh you take the high road and I'll take the low road :music:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 16:27 »
I used to be very keen on home brew in the eighties and successfully made wines, lagers and beers.  The lager and beer was far superior to anything you could buy in a pub and it put me off pub beer for life.  The wines made from kits were drinkable but with little body but those made from fruit picked from the garden or hedgerows were much better.  I had a great time making the stuff!   :laugh:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 16:28 »
Making or drinking, Clive? ;D
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 16:36 »
Both!   ;D

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 16:38 »
 :laugh:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 23:00 »
It's time to keep your eyes open for elderflowers and gooseberries, Clive.  Those two combine to make fabulous wine :) .

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 23:12 »
I've made both.  Elderflower Champagne is well worth a try too.  They say Elderflower wine is particularly good to ease the symptoms of summer colds.  Elderberry wine was a favourite of mine and can be full bodied.  Gooseberry wine is delicious! 

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 09:12 »
I've heard that too, Clive.  In the last series of Grow Your Own Drugs, James Wong made elderberry jam as a cold remedy.  I suppose elderflower wine would be even better; after a few glasses you wouldn't find the symptoms a problem whether or not they were alleviated!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum