Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Fact or Fiction? Top 8 Linux Myths Debunked  (Read 3770 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Re: Fact or Fiction? Top 8 Linux Myths Debunked
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 00:40 »
Civ5 installed but won't play.  Ultimate Edition downloaded and checked but won't write to DVD.

I'm not having a good time :( .
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 02:09 »
Gille does it give an error??

UE 2.7 is an image download all it needs it to be burnt to a DVD

Wont have to burn it as a bootable DVD

If the MD-5 shows good that may be the problem

I burn mine at the slowest possible speed and just burn it as an image

Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 02:13 »
what games you referring to, I spend quite a bit of my time getting any windows game I get to work on linux. Still I tend to avoid ones with heavy graphics, but with a combination of wine and play on linux I normally get most things working well. I'm probably going to have fun getting Civ 5 running this weekend... either that or I'll install a VM

Sorry I missed your post Sam

I dont have a problem with heavy graphic games its the ones that are designed to run on windows most have a problem with these especially the more complicated and fast paced ones
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 04:25 »
I see what you are saying Davy.

Gill, I'm assuming you tried to run it in Windows? I just got my copy on the way home from drinks in the pub after work (went to electronic boutique, that took me back about a decade as they have been dead in the UK for quite some time). I haven't give it a go yet... but will probably in the morning now, involves booting into Vista for now... will try and get it working in Ubuntu later. Did you get to the steam initialisation bit?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 09:58 »
I switched the computer on this morning and there's a splash screen from Steam telling me to log on to my account!  So I've logged on and the computer is now downloading the game over the internet.  This is bizarre - it's DRM gone mad and makes me concerned for my computer's intergrity.

Yes, Sam, I'm using Vista.  Can't seem to get Ultimate Edition to write to DVD - I reckon it's a hardware issue at my end.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 14:10 »
Strange Gille

You might look on ubuntu forums for the answer thats one of the good things about this distro all ubuntu fixes work on it
Dave

Albert Camus

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 14:27 »
I switched the computer on this morning and there's a splash screen from Steam telling me to log on to my account!  So I've logged on and the computer is now downloading the game over the internet.  This is bizarre - it's DRM gone mad and makes me concerned for my computer's intergrity.

Unsure why it is downloading it.. but Steam is a common tool, lots of my friends who are proper computing geeks use it and think its fine - so I a wouldnt worry.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 14:28 »
though I agree over the top drm... its not like you didnt just buy the game or anything  :sigh:
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum