Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Review: Parallels Desktop 6  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Review: Parallels Desktop 6
« on: October 16, 2010, 10:45 »
For regular switchers it's a slick way to run Windows on the Mac, with a few distinctive tricks...

If you need to run Windows software on a Mac, the simplest option is to dual-boot with Apple's Boot Camp utility. But for everyday use, it's more practical to install an OS X virtualisation host such as Parallels Desktop (or its rival, VMware Fusion) to run multiple operating systems concurrently. Both let you hide the Windows desktop and run Mac and Windows applications side by side.

Parallels Desktop 6 brings a few new features that VMware can't match. The big one is a mobile application for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, allowing you to connect to virtual machines over the internet. We tested it on an iPad, and had no problem accessing our Windows installation through a firewall. Once we got the hang of touch controls the OS was responsive and usable, and you can even remotely power-on virtual machines via the mobile app - so long as the host Mac is turned on, of course. It's just a shame you can't access OS X the same way.

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/361855/parallels-desktop-6
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Review: Parallels Desktop 6
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 15:41 »
I don't understand this "I need to connect to my home pc" crap off windows users etc... if you want to do this then just use Linux / a Mac - works straight out of the box. I've been able to run virtual machines for a long time and use them over the net, so I don't see why this feature of such a massive improvement.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum