Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: 25 Ubuntu tips for beginners  (Read 3172 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
25 Ubuntu tips for beginners
« on: November 09, 2010, 00:01 »
Taking a trip into the weird and wonderful world of Linux with the world's most popular distro isn't always the easiest of tasks, particularly if you're used to Windows' clean embrace.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/25-ubuntu-tips-for-beginners-906002
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: 25 Ubuntu tips for beginners
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 22:06 »
One day...   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 23:35 »
Type this into a terminal: sudo wget http://www.medibuntu. org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_ release -cs).list –outputdocument=/ etc/apt/ sources.list.d/medibuntu. list. Then run sudo apt-get install w32codecs to get the appropriate files.

That would be my top tip for any newcomer to Ubuntu.

:o:
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 01:21 »
tis a useful one, but I don't think its a neccessary one.

Though something tells me you are attacking the need to use the commandline. I swear people are just to scared to actually do things with a computer. There is also nothing different really here between windows and linux, to get things to work you need to install s**t, its just slightly different how you go about it.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 02:19 »
No, I'm not attacking the need to use the commandline.  I'm just trying to point out that whoever wrote the article thinks that bit of syntax is beginner's stuff.  It isn't.  Surely a better tip would be to point newcomers to a place where they could learn how to use the commandline?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 02:27 »
though you could just copy and paste it? I dunno I learn how to do a lot of commandline stuff that way. Also learning the whole syntax would be kinda un-important / I'm not entirely sure who this article is really aimed at. In my world and I really do feel ubuntu is almost there, everything the average user wants is there out of the box.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 11:07 »
It's good to hear that sort of progress is being made with Linux, Sam.  Nevertheless, you and most of your peers are vastly more intelligent than the majority of computer users and you have much more experience in using computers.  There's an awful lot of people who want to use computers but either don't want to be involved with the inner workings or aren't competent to be involved with them.  It's a bit like the millions of car drivers who know how to check tyre and oil pressure but get a mechanic if the bonnet needs to be raised.

The day when Ubuntu can be used out-of-the-box on a computer sold by PC World to an OAP will be the day when Linux finally begins to reckon with Micro$oft.  Unfortunately, Windows continues to set the standard for operating systems and Linux is playing catch-up.  I tried Ubuntu last year and it was good but not quite good enough yet to attract computing newbies.  As you know, my principal criticism of Linux is its lack of TV card support.  If Ubuntu could be developed to challenge Windows media processing capabilities I would seriously consider switching.  I daresay that would be true of other Windows users too.  Whenever an established product is challenged, the challenger needs to show it can match that product and do more if it is to induce customers to switch.  That's what Linux needs to do.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 14:13 »
then again, does linux? probably not. Its free which is a massive benefit to the user. Also thinking about it, do we want our community breached by non-computing people? possibly not, as this would make linux support harder. Then again I truely believe in free software and that anyone can be taught to use linux.

I've used ubuntu with OAPs many times, some for the first time they have used a computer - big email, big internet button, that's what they are after. Big benefit once installed, there is none of the crap of M$ / your computer doesn't go slower with time.. etc etc.

I'd also argue that Apple have the media processing down, not microsoft.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 15:23 »
You may well be right in what you say about Apple setting the standards for media - the only Apple product I've ever had is an iPod (which I adore :) ), so I wouldn't know.  Apple's got a good reputation, though, despite its price.

I think it would be good if Linux could attract people who are computer-illiterate.  For one thing, it would take trade from Micro$oft and give them something to think about.  For another, it would vindicate the creed of Open Source software and make computing more inclusive as opposed to the business proposition it is right now.  I'm all in favour of greater freedom for intellectual property and boosting the hinterland of Linux users would certainly advance this cause.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 16:29 »
Plus, Gill, it's inherently safer for the time being at least.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 21:45 »
and not entirely for the time being - its all based around security, by default there is a firewall etc with reasonable defaults - unlike windows.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 07:19 »
I was just thinking that, as the user base increases, Sam, it's going to attract more attention.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 13:24 »
yes, and indeed software holes will become more of an issue then, but the whole philosophy is different.. so hopefully not. Then again its the average user that the scammers attack...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 16:44 »
 ;D

Simon, you mean?  :devil:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 18:04 »
Not my fault!   :bawl:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum