Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: HP Desktops  (Read 8695 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
HP Desktops
« on: November 25, 2010, 22:08 »
Some relations are looking for a basic cheapish desktop, and have asked my opinion on HP machines, such as this model from Amazon.  They don't need anything too flashy, they are not mega gamers, and only use the PC for office tasks, emails, web browsing, etc.  I have no experience of HP myself, so does anyone have an opinion on these?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: HP Desktops
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 22:27 »
Only one left in stock Simon!  I don't like HP printers.  I've had two and both met their demise very prematurely.  I think their desktops are known to be "cheap and cheerful" .
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 22:29 by Clive »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 22:28 »
It doesn't need to be that one, Clive.  I just need to know what they are like generally, as a brand.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 22:30 »
See above.  I edited it.   ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 22:35 »
;D

Thanks Clive.  Their prices range from the one I linked to, to +£2K, so I guess you get what you pay for.  I know Rik likes HP printers, and I was actually looking at one myself the other day.  The trouble is, the people buying are very 'mainstream', and will want a known brand.  To be honest, they'll probably end up going to PC World.   :ack:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 23:38 »
I've been using one for the last three years.  It's reliable, nothing flashy.  I don't like the bloatware that came with it (especially Vista) but it does the job admirably.  I've added a TV card and the system can cope quite happily with recording two channels simultaneously.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 23:50 »
Thanks Gill.  I think bloatware is an unpleasant fact of life with any branded machine.  :(

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 10:56 »
Notebooks in particular. :( I've had nothing but good experiences with HP.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 11:03 »
:thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 10:03 »
Only experience Ive had with HP is that a friend of mine bought one, and didnt get a disc copy of Windows but had to burn his own from the machine. That was impossible to do, as the PC constantly refused to do so. After dozens of reminders to burn a copy and dozens of failures, he gave up.

A chap at PC World told me that no PC comes with a disc of Windows today; a very poor decision in my opinion, with a few pence saving by manufacturers.

:ack:
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 10:52 »
I also think it's poor, but it a fact of life these days, DG, and not just common to HP.  Not sure about the burning bit, but usually, there's a hidden partition for the Windows installation, for recovery purposes, but a CD would be much better, and, as you say, would cost a few pence to include.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 16:21 »
a hidden partition is normally the way, but its not use if your hard drive fails completely.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 16:30 »
It's one way of getting you to pay manufacturers to fix their machines. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 16:34 »
Except, it's your machine...

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 16:39 »
It is, but that's the net effect - or buy your own copy of the OS. One way of selling warranties, I guess.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum