Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Radiation Dose Chart  (Read 4080 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Re: Radiation Dose Chart
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 19:54 »
I thought luminous dials were no longer radioactive, Clive?

they're not supposed to be but i reckon a few of the cheap chinese fakes could be a bit dodgy.

As an aside at the turn of the 19th century you could get "sodastream" machines that made you a fizzy radium drink , yum.  :stars:

Excellent chart by the way Sam, consider it stolen.  :thumbs:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 21:33 »
We had a Geiger counter in the lab at which I used to work and it used to go into a frenzy if I placed my watch next to it.  But I think the radioactive substance was promethium 147  and not radium as was used previously.  They may well have changed to something less radioactive in recent years.  Wimps!!   :laugh:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 10:31 »
Apparently the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra's instruments are now radioactive after their tour of Japan!
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 11:43 »
Well I'm blowed!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 16:13 »
Or brassed off. ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 18:41 »
 :)x
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 03:06 »
Apparently the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra's instruments are now radioactive after their tour of Japan!

what, did they stand on top of the nuclear reactor?

Oh this article... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368052/Japan-earthquake-tsunami-Tea-sandwiches-English-evacuation.html?ito=feeds-newsxml  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 09:57 »
It was also reported in a BBC Radio 5 news bulletin.

I bet they wouldn't have been popular if they had been playing Handel's Water Music.  Incidentally, I hear the water in Tokyo is now regarded as unfit for babies to drink due to radioactive contamination.  Tokyo is about 240 km (150 miles) from Fukushima!
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 10:13 »
It does now seem as though they may have been playing it down a bit.  :(

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 13:01 »
I don't know everything I've heard about the radioactive release sounds reasonable.

But, even though the level is more than twice the 100 becquerels per litre experts say is safe for infants to consume, older children and adults are being told they have no reason to fear water from their taps

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStoriesV2/20110323/japan-fukushima-radiation-contamination-concerns-110323/

The radon concentration in an average UK house gives 20 becquerels per cubic metre.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 15:30 »
The radon concentration in an average UK house gives 20 becquerels per cubic metre.

And the amount at which you are recommended to take steps to reduce the level is 400 becquerels per cubic metre i think (unless it's been reduced recently).

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 16:09 »
I should imagine much would depend on your body mass.  Smaller people (such as children) would be affected worse than adults.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 00:55 »
though the cross section of radiation encountered would be smaller.

- sam | @starrydude --

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 10:34 »
I should imagine much would depend on your body mass.  Smaller people (such as children) would be affected worse than adults.

Children are more susceptible as some organs are not fully matured and are more prone to chromosome damage. Younger adults are more susceptible than older ones as they have longer to live for the radiation effects to occur.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum