Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: activation problem  (Read 2570 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
activation problem
« on: April 17, 2011, 17:01 »
Hi Guys, what a bad day i've had !

Fell off the garage roof after some emergency repairs, then as i was recovering in the house i ill advisedly installed the latest windows updates.
Ended with a fatal system error blue screen.

I did a repair install which went ok, but then i was asked to activate windows. No certificate of authenticity with pc (i assumed as it was oem it was ok).
i tried the automated telephone method and got a mega digit code to enter but this was rejected suggesting the software wasn't genuine. I'm pretty sure the software is kosher (supplied by cougar-extreme). I tried ringing microsoft, all i could seem to get were indians or americans wanting to talk about MSN, although i did get put through to a Liverpool theatre booking office at one point!!

Does anyone know a number that i can ring to activate windows (with a real person to speak to), i can honestly say they're the most frustrating company ever to try and resolve something with.

I've e-mailed Cougar, but there is no-one there today.   :bawl:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: activation problem
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 18:03 »
Sorry, Dave, I've never used the telephone activation method.  Not being funny, but are you sure you got the code right?  Would it be worth  calling the automated service again to check, or get a new code?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 18:57 »
I've tried twice Simon, the same 54 digit code is generated each time and twice i've been told the account can't be activated and that i should contact the "reseller". I also have 0 days to activate (presumably as the pc it's on is 2 1/2 years old) consequently when i click "remind me later" i get logged off. It's so frustrating as i can see my old desktop background so i know the repair worked. I can't even understand why i have to re-activate as i only did a repair not a clean install.  :dunno:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 19:56 »
Thanks for the warning Dave!  I've not yet downloaded that last lot of updates so I will hold off.  Thanks also for the tips about contacting Micro$oft.  Just as I expected!  Incidentally, which operating system were you using?  I have XP pro x 2 and Win 7 x 1.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 20:36 »
As it happens, I installed a load up updates last night, and all still seems to be well.  Can you get into the computer at all, Dave?  I'm just wondering if you could perhaps do a system restore to before the updates?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 23:24 »
Disconnect from the internet during install

You wont get the warning or blue screen

I had this problem on a 3 year old disc it it said it couldn't be authorized

I had changed a video card and since I had registered windows the first time I installed the numbers showed I was using as different machine

Windows only allows putting it on one machine

But this workaround should work
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 11:30 »
Looks like i'm shafted  :bawl: i can't even get into safe mode to download the ms product key finder. I rang the pc seller and they don't keep records of product keys. They said the sticker was on the side of the pc (which it wasn't when i received it). Looks like at least £80 now to get a copy. Suffice to say i'm going back to my previous methodology regarding updates i.e. steer well clear.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 11:39 »
What OS is this, Dave?

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 14:12 »
Sorry to hear about your problems, Dave.  I agree, the safest policy is to NEVER risk Windows updates.  I the past, I would never allow an update that was less than 3 months old and in the last three years have never put a single Microsoft update on my desktop or two laptops.  In twelve years of home computing with internet, I have never had a single virus, spyware, trojan or any strange behaviour.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 15:02 »
What OS is this, Dave?

XP home sp3 Si.

Sorry to hear about your problems, Dave.  I agree, the safest policy is to NEVER risk Windows updates.  I the past, I would never allow an update that was less than 3 months old and in the last three years have never put a single Microsoft update on my desktop or two laptops.  In twelve years of home computing with internet, I have never had a single virus, spyware, trojan or any strange behaviour.

I couldn't agree more Dave. Eventually i got the vendor to give me a bit of a discount on a new disc and he did give me the code over the phone, but Sundays updates cost me £75 or £3 per digit.
 I really have been micro$hafted.  :bawl:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 15:25 »
Of course, Microsoft would say that it must have been something else on your machine that caused the updates to fail, so it's not thier fault. 

It's a shame it's too late, but I'm sure you could have got an OEM version cheaper than £75, Dave.  :-\

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 19:26 »
Of course, Microsoft would say that it must have been something else on your machine that caused the updates to fail, so it's not thier fault. 

It's a shame it's too late, but I'm sure you could have got an OEM version cheaper than £75, Dave.  :-\

I probably could si   :P I  rushed into it as I was getting grief from the rest of the family as everyone has important stuff on it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 20:36 »
Ah...  Oh well, at least it's sorted now.  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum