Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: antivirus etc help needed  (Read 2335 times)

Offline KRO

antivirus etc help needed
« on: July 03, 2011, 13:04 »
hi guy's,
             it's been a long time since my last visit, but this is the first site i think of when i'm in trouble.....
yesterday there was an attempt to extract in excess of 8k via my paypal account (which is obviously hooked up to my bank account).....now i hope / think everything is under control regarding all the relevant phone calls etc.
so my question is this really....i am runnuing AVG free edition along side malwarebytes which i thought had things pretty well covered ???
the guy i spoke to at paypal suggested that i run a check and clean up my pc after this scenario....
any advice will be gratefully received......many thanks.. :bawl: :bawl:   
cheers kro.....

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re: antivirus etc help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 13:18 »
Hi KRO,

You could do worse than visit http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/ .  That would help remove any keyloggers and associated crap that's got you into this predicament.  Then, once you're back on a level playing field again, you might like to try out the free edition of avast!.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 13:22 »
It's always best to run a virus scan on a fairly regular basis, although, of the three times I've had my credit card defrauded, none of the security breaches have come from my own machine, but from company servers being hacked, or simply bad luck.

From posts on the forum, we have found, though, that AVG Free possibly isn't the most robust protection available, so you may wish to look for something more substantial.  I've heard good reports of Avast, but not used it myself, and the same goes for MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials).

In the meantime, scans with MWB, which you already have, and Super Anti Spyware should clean up your machine nicely.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline KRO

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 21:34 »
thanks for the help guy's........
cheers kro.....

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 07:23 »
As with Simon all of the issues I've had were with the othwr party and not myself but it never hurts to just give it the once over. Always worth checking that tor connection to paypal etc is using https. I use avast when I use windows and feel its pretty decent. Always woerg asking thou ) what browser do you use?
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum