Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Could Linux help?  (Read 5652 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Could Linux help?
« on: July 04, 2011, 11:21 »
A friend has a hard drive where Windows is on the C partition, and Documents on the D partition.  Windows is knackered, and the C drive is so full that it has less than 200mb disc space left, and the computer basically won't function. 

Would booting from a Linux CD enable them to recover their data on the D partition, to an external hard drive?  If so, how exactly is this done?

Alternatively, could they boot from a Windows CD, delete the C partition and reinstall Windows, without putting the data on D drive at risk?  Could they also expand the C partition this way, and again, would this put their data at risk?

I'm not getting involved with this one, other than to offer advice!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re: Could Linux help?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 13:27 »
Why not just mount the drive in an external enclosure on another box and backup/delete out some of the crap from the ailing HDD?  Then you can do a windows repair once you've got some breathing space.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 13:29 »
Because they haven't got an enclosure or another box, and I'm not taking mine to bits!  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 13:31 »
What kind of computer-mender-man are you?   :o

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 13:31 »
The current plan is to use an external USB drive to try to save some of the essential data, then to format and reintall Windows. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 13:32 »
One that's tired of spending my free time on other people's machines!  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 13:34 »
The current plan is, of course, reliant on Windows being able to wheeze it's way through the process, without completely croaking. 

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 13:37 »
One that's tired of spending my free time on other people's machines!  ;D

I know the feeling.  On the other hand, I've just had my car valeted to showroom standard in exchange for sorting someone's laptop.   8-)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 13:46 »
Nice trade.  :)

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 15:07 »
Make a copy of Puppy live cd

Use it to put all the info on a disc

When the live cd opens all drives should be mounted

Its basically an easy process once the info is saved on a disc
You can do anything you want with the hard drives

Repair the windows install or a complete reinstall

Puppy

http://is.gd/hNpqt7
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 16:27 »
Thanks Dave. 

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 16:59 »
Your welcome Simon
Its what i use for all repairs and virus removal on all my friends windows installs
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 17:30 »
I have a HDD partitioned between Windows Vista and Ubuntu.  Could I use a live CD to remove Ubuntu and free up more space for Vista?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 17:50 »
I have a HDD partitioned between Windows Vista and Ubuntu.  Could I use a live CD to remove Ubuntu and free up more space for Vista?

Yes use gparted in puppy to delete ubuntu then use it to expand the windows partician

then you have one of two choices either install grub with puppy or use a windows disc and repair windows mbr

Windows mbr will be messed up when you remove ubuntu so it will need to be repaired before you can log in

Dave

Albert Camus

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 18:26 »
What about the data on the D partition of my friend's drive, Dave?  If I use Gparted to expand the C drive, does that not put the other data at risk, given it's all on one physical drive?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum