Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: The Atheism/Religion Turing Test  (Read 908 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
The Atheism/Religion Turing Test
« on: July 12, 2011, 14:52 »
A few weeks ago, Paul Krugman set off a debate by claiming that liberal economists could do a very good job at explaining what conservative economists think, but the conservatives just don’t understand the liberals. Regardless of the empirical truth of that statement, the idea is an important one: when there is a respectable disagreement (as opposed to one where the other side are just obvious crackpots), and important skill is to be able to put yourself in the mind of those with whom you disagree. Conservative economist Bryan Caplan formalized the notion by invoking the idea of a Turing Test: could a liberal/conservative do such a good job at stating conservative/liberal beliefs that an outsider couldn’t tell they were the real thing? Ilya Somin, a libertarian, actually took up the challenge, and made a good-faith effort to simulate a liberal defending their core beliefs. I actually thought he did okay, but as he himself admitted, his “liberal” sometimes seemed to be more concerned with disputing libertarianism than making a positive case. Playing someone else is hard!

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2011/07/10/the-atheismreligion-turing-test/
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: The Atheism/Religion Turing Test
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 17:36 »
I admit to being an atheist and said so on my census form. 

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 18:31 »
I wanted to put Jedi on the Canadian census, but decided to be sensible.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 19:25 »
I'd like to be an atheist, but I have this God delusion  :crazy: .
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 19:30 »
 :)x
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum