Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Apple patents a keyless keyboard  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Apple patents a keyless keyboard
« on: July 26, 2011, 22:23 »
Apple has patented a design for a keyboard with no moving parts, just a glass panel covering a graphical display.

Using acoustic and piezo-electric sensors, the system compares the sound made by tapping the screen to a “database of reference acoustic signatures” to determine which key is being used, according to the patent filing.

Three sensors within the keyboard – one at the top and two at the sides – would be “sufficiently precise” to triangulate the position of the tap, said the filing. The database should also be able to differentiate between taps and innocuous contact such as resting on the screen.

A traditional Qwerty layout would be displayed on the screen below the glass for users to tap away on, but the graphical display means software designers can switch between traditional input layouts and bespoke designs.

The patent filing called touchscreen keyboards “less reliable” than traditional ones, saying they “often require that a user tap on the screen several times before detecting the command” and can't distinguish “when a user is merely resting on the surface of the device or actively selecting a letter”.

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/368887/apple-patents-a-keyless-keyboard
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Apple patents a keyless keyboard
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 09:13 »
Interesting idea, but without tactile feedback, I wonder how popular it will become.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 10:11 »
The patent office is full of patents which never again see the light of day.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:14 »
Thankfully... ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:04 »
Interesting idea, but without tactile feedback, I wonder how popular it will become.

Most phones have optional tactile feedback, and I usually switch it off.  I wouldn't think this would function all that much differently to a tablet keyboard.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum