Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Dual Booting EFI Motherboards?  (Read 2235 times)

Offline virgo17

Dual Booting EFI Motherboards?
« on: July 27, 2011, 17:11 »
I'm thinking of upgrading shortly and the motherboard that interests me is the Asus P8P67 Rev3. This mobo uses the new incarnation of BIOS called EFI.

I do 90% of my work using Linux (either Mint 10 or Ubuntu) but need to boot into Windows occasionally.

Has anyone any experience of dual booting on one of these newer BIOS types? I believe I read somewhere that GRUB doesn't play with these new systems but I'm not sure if GRUB2 will.

The machine will be plently fast enough for me to do my bit of Windows computing in a virtual machine, so if it won't dual boot it isn't a show stopper.

Interested if anyone has any experience.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Dual Booting EFI Motherboards?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 18:17 »
I'm sure there will be some that have, and hopefully they'll be along later.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 22:19 »
You can read this it says to install other than grub2

I dont know if this will work or not

You can  post on the forum and im sure someone will know

http://is.gd/wJnK5R
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 22:21 by davy51 »
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline virgo17

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:40 »
Thanks Davy. There is an interesting post about installing 'grub-efi'. I'll do some more reading.

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 16:56 »
i haven't really heard of any big problems with dual booting with grub2 on any mother board

Since it only takes about 30minutes to install Mint 10 you can always try it and if it doesn't work then try the other
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum