Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Finding IP for websites  (Read 2368 times)

Offline nodrog

• New Registration
Finding IP for websites
« on: May 13, 2003, 13:22 »
How can I find the IP address for websites which I have the domain name for, i.e. www.yahoo.com, using MS-DOS?

by the way, I'm new with a computer, so I don't know much

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Finding IP for websites
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 13:41 »
Hi Nodrog,welcome to the forum  8)

This is what I think you wanted to know :

Open DOS Prompt and enter: 'ping [domain name]'
for example: 'c:> ping www.programmer.ms' will result in:

Pinging www.programmer.ms [216.32.192.6] with 32 bytes of data

Get back to us if it isnt  :-*

Offline thegallery

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 17:04 »
Hi, Sandra, where do I find the Dos prompt in Windows XP? I haven't looked very much but when I went to expiriment with the "ping" I couldn't find it. I think it used to be under accessories in Win 98.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 17:21 »
Hi T.G.
Go to Start,All programs,Accessories and its about 7 or 8 down.Its called Command Prompt not DOS PROMPT as in 98 etc  :-*

Offline thegallery

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 17:51 »
Thanks Sandra. I had tried out another host for my website once, and though they were fast the ping was slow. I got the feeling that they served up my site really fast, but the actual interaction of clicking a link and it responding to me was too slow. My website is heavy on thumbnails and graphics, and it not enjoyable to view it if it takes 3 extra seconds for the click to react. I'm not sure if the lack of speed was due to the actual distance away the server was, or because it was just slower for other reasons. My current server is only 100 miles away, and it works great. Also, when I was in the UK, 3000 miles away, it seemed to work find too. I do have to move my host because I want to put a forum on my site and can't with my current ISP, but I'll be apprehensive until I know I have a host who can serve my site  fast. Incidentally, Yahoo.com was the fastest 'ping' by far of the 20 various sites I tried.

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 11:46 »

Hi, Sandra, where do I find the Dos prompt in Windows XP?

You can also get to the dos prompt by:

Start Button > Run > Type "command" > click OK.

DJ1UK

Offline Big_Boss

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 13:00 »
A program ive used a lot HyperTrace available Here. Then all you have to do, is enter the name of the website, e.g www.google.com, and then wait for it to perform the trace-route, when thats done, look down the list of addresses, and the ip your looking for is the bottom one, in google's case 216.239.37.99

Hope this helps,

Boss

Adept

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 14:47 »

You can also get to the dos prompt by:

Start Button > Run > Type "command" > click OK.

DJ1UK

Another way is to type cmd instead. It's quicker ::) ;)

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2003, 17:13 »
command and cmd are different utils - they look the same, but not all commands work in both - they are sometimes slightly different.

But in this case, either will do :o

Adept

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 18:33 »
I found this on Windows Scripting Solutions which explains it better than I could K

What is the difference between cmd.exe and command.com?

A. Windows NT/Windows 2000 supply cmd.exe and command.com. CMD.EXE is the Windows NT command line interface, its NOT a DOS window. COMMAND.COM is a 16-bit DOS application which is used for older DOS compatibility and actually runs inside the NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine) due to its 16-bit nature.

What may surprise you is the face that COMMAND.COM and CMD.EXE have almost identical features and this is because any command entered in COMMAND.COM it is packaged up and sent to CMD.EXE for execution and thanks to this COMMAND.COM can take advantage of all the functions and facilities of CMD.EXE. This is possible as the version of COMMAND.COM shipped with NT IS a special NT version designed to pass all execution to CMD.EXE.

If you had Task Manager running you would actually see a CMD.EXE process started when executing commands in COMMAND.COM.

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2003, 16:55 »
Sounds good :) I knew there was a difference - didn't know if it would affect anything in "real life" lol

cheers  ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum