Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Dad's Army co-writer David Croft dies at 89  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Dad's Army co-writer David Croft dies at 89
« on: September 27, 2011, 21:49 »
David Croft, co-writer and producer of classic comedies including 'Allo 'Allo and Hi-de-Hi has died at the age of 89, his family has announced.

He died peacefully in his sleep at his home in Portugal. His family called him a "truly great man" in a statement.

Croft's military sitcoms It Ain't Half Hot Mum and Dad's Army, written with Jimmy Perry, were hits in the 1970s.

He is also credited with Are You Being Served and its 1990s spin-off Grace and Favour.

Actor Melvyn Hayes, one of the stars of It Ain't Half Hot Mum, called Croft a "genius" and said it was "a privilege to work with" him.

"There were no swear words in his shows. His programmes were the kind of thing you could sit in front of the TV and watch with your grandmother and grandchildren," he told the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15072847
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re: Dad's Army co-writer David Croft dies at 89
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 23:49 »
So, the writer of Are You Being Served has finally died.  I hope my next curse is a bit more effective.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 00:12 »
Although I thought Are You being Served was one of his weaker contributions, it was still head and shoulders above most of the rubbish that calls itself a sit-com nowadays.  I adored much of his other work, especially Dad's Army, It Ain't Half Hot Mum and 'Allo, 'Allo.  I will always remember him with enormous affection for having given me so much laughter.

:rip:
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 00:19 »
I never got into 'Allo 'Allo or Hi-de-Hi, but loved Dad's Army.  Of course, IAHHM wouldn't be allowed to be shown these days.   ::)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 00:31 »
I genuinely did enjoy David Croft's 'military' offerings, but will never forgive him for Are You Being Served, as I'm still quite unable to uncurl my toes.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:23 »
Of course, IAHHM wouldn't be allowed to be shown these days.   ::)

That's why I bought the full DVD set.  It's delightfully politically incorrect, but in an affectionate sort of way :) .
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 08:35 »
I wasn't a fan of any of his offerings. 

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 08:58 »
Isn't entertainment a strange thing?  What amuses one person doesn't necessarily amuse another.  We saw Ken Dodd live a few years ago and walked out at the interval because in our opinion he simply wasn't funny, yet my father is one of many thousands who have attended his shows and been delighted by his whole, long act.  I always find Fawlty Towers funny, yet my husband simply doesn't get it.  He can listen to a wide range of musical genres and be transported, yet I listen to some of his stuff and find myself longing for a visit from the Jehova's Witnesses.

Generally speaking, we have the following entertainment no-no's in our household:

No hip-hop or rap music,
No David Walliams/Matt Lucas comedy,
No Big Brother or talent shows,
No soap operas.

Yet millions of people adore these.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 09:29 »
I'm with you, Gill. I've even walked out of operas at the first interval when the cast is performing poorly.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 09:46 »
I agree with you on all counts apart from the David Walliams/Matt Lucas comedies which I find hilarious.  Sadly for me, Mrs Clive shares your opinion on that too.  On the other hand, Fawlty Towers is the funniest comedy of all time as far as I am concerned yet Mrs Clive hates it with a vengeance.  She likes all of David Croft's work.   :dunno:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 11:28 »
I can't understand how anyone could not find Fawlty Towers hilarious.  It's simply never been bettered. 

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 12:18 »
I found it rather loud and unfunny - my sense of humour was better served by Yes Minister. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 12:47 »
That was clever, but I never really found it funny. 

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 14:06 »
I thought Yes Minister was hilarious, which is more than can be said for the recent attempt at a political sitcom, The Thick Of It.  I found the first five minutes of that trite, unperceptive, stereotypical and facile.  I don't know if the rest of it was any better because I switched it off.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 16:43 »
I agree on both counts, Gill, and having been, in my multi-faceted career, a civil servant for a couple of years, I recognised so many truths.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum