Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: How close are we to a crash-proof car?  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
How close are we to a crash-proof car?
« on: December 11, 2011, 21:52 »
Every year, 1.3 million people are killed and 50 million injured on the world's roads. Carmakers are racing to create a vehicle that will never crash, but can it be done and will drivers accept a computer that overrides their driving?

Less than 30 years ago, "clunk clicking" ourselves into our car seat belts seemed like the cutting edge of road safety technology. Since then, we've seen airbags, anti-lock braking systems and crumple zones fitted to new cars.

Now the arrival of crash avoidance technology - systems that can alert drivers to danger and even take action to prevent accidents from happening - promises to cut the number of crashes on our roads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15820069
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: How close are we to a crash-proof car?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 21:59 »
I welcome the idea and have no doubt none of us will be in the driving seat in 50 years time.  I also predict that cars will not have internal combustion engines to propel them.  A couple of friends of mine already have cars that can park themselves.   8-)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 22:04 »
The problem would be that computers cannot possibly take into account every eventuality, and some human control would always be required, in my opinion.  With the keeping in lane control, for example, what would happen, say, in thick fog, if you suddenly had to change lanes to avoid a collision?  If the car is fighting against the driver, that might put him at quite a disadvantage.  I'm sure there would be fail safe mechanisms built in, but I'd find it pretty scary to have no control over the vehicle myself.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 22:08 »
But there will be no controls at all Simon.  No steering wheel and no pedals.  SatNav will take care of everything.  That would suit me down to the ground.   8-)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 22:36 »
That's handy, because in 50 years time, when all this happens, you'll probably be in the ground.  :laugh:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:51 »
And a good thing too.   :laugh:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:25 »
No going for the urn on the mantelpiece, Clive? ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 10:58 »
I have my eye on the nearby field of sheep.   ;D

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 11:03 »
 :laugh:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 11:41 »
:sheeplove:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 21:27 »
 ;D

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 00:21 »
There'll be loads of crashes.  By then, CERN will have come up with some new theory-of-everything based on the properties of the Higgs Bosun particle which might be announced tomorrow... assuming they can get enough physicists in the same press conference at the same time... although several of them might inadvertently be scattered throughout Somerset despite their promises to be at the press conference... and if the particle isn't actually confirmed tomorrow it will have been confirmed in the 11th dimension which is close enough to mean that if the errant scientists can get to Italy they'll soon be back in Geneva before anyone notices that Somerset has a surplus of physicists anyway...

... so all these particle physicists will suddenly appear in the air, fifty feet above the Los Angeles Interstate and holding onto the tails of tabbies, screaming, "Schrodinger, your bloody cat decided it wanted to see how it would land when dropped from a great height. Poisonous gas just didn't have the same sort of appeal."  Then they'll splash down onto all the cars below, no doubt with the last victim yelling, "Programme that into your lovely GPS satellites, you Newtonian chimps".

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 01:18 »
Gill, relax.  Calm down and have a jam sandwich.  The universe will continue to be pretty much the same long after both you and I have gone mouldy.  Now what was that question again?

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 09:10 »
new theory-of-everything based on the properties of the Higgs Bosun particle which might be announced tomorrow.

other way around - the theory predicts the particle. Oh and its Boson.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 09:13 »
:music: In the navy :music: ;D
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum