Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Canonical puts Ubuntu on Android smartphones  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Canonical puts Ubuntu on Android smartphones
« on: February 21, 2012, 21:51 »
Canonical has revealed Ubuntu for Android, a dual-OS concept that allows a smartphone to be used as a desktop when docked.

Ubuntu for Android features a full version of the open source desktop OS working alongside Google's mobile OS.

When the phone is being used as a smartphone, it runs Android. When it's docked into a laptop or a desktop setup, it automatically switches to Ubuntu, without user input or a restart.

"You've got your phone, you get to work, you just slip it in and you've got an Ubuntu desktop with the same contacts, same photos, same files and same network configurations," Canonical CEO Jane Silber told PC Pro.

"It's not an application on Android - it's full Ubuntu, running alongside Android," Silber said. "Which operating system takes over the phone is context sensitive."

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/373024/canonical-puts-ubuntu-on-android-smartphones
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Canonical puts Ubuntu on Android smartphones
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:40 »
Sam will want one. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:23 »
He'll be the only one who knows how to work it!  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:30 »
You're not wrong there. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 11:33 »
It'll all turn around soon, and we'll be back to basics, with a phone being just a phone.  :)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:41 »
Mine still is. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 11:54 »
Luddite!  ;D

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 12:08 »
To some extent, yes, but it's also a rational choice. I don't really need a mobile when you think about it. When I do, I'm only going to make phone calls or text, so a smartphone would be overkill. For me, a netbook or tablet makes more sense for the odd occasion I need mobile data. I don't like too much convergence, eg I would never use a tablet as an MP3 player, an iPod fits the pocket better and makes more sense. In the same way, a simple phone is smaller and easier to carry. I've tried a couple of Android tablets, but didn't find much advantage over the netbook. I must borrow an iPad and see if that's better.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:19 »
Yes, in your situation, a smartphone wouldn't give you much advantage.  For me, it's the convenience of only having to carry one device, for phone, music, calendar / appointments, and web access while at work.  I'd be lost without that now. 

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 16:30 »
My mobile is so integrated already. Not so much as t'other ones who's chrome links to any machine and soon that will be to the phone.

Still all my email, bookmarks and contacts come up on my phone / any machine. It makes so much sense for me... data on the move and I can just do anything.

I do like a proper computer though, but that's now a laptop and not a desktop. Big servers for work though.

The phone seems interesting but I'm not sure I'd really want that, I still like things being separate and I really don't like the way Ubuntu has gone to make itself a bit more like a mobile OS. I really don't like Unity.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 16:33 »
It does seem as though everything is trying to be everything, if you see what I mean, and that will inevitably lead to things being not quite as good as they were when separate.  It's a bit similar to an AV amp.  Great for home cinema, but crap for playing CDs through.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 16:52 »
I always preferred hifi separates in order to get the best performance, I guess old habits die hard. For you, I think a smartphone makes perfect sense, but for me, if anything, it will be a tablet.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 17:15 »
Haven't you got enough of those?  :)x

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 17:30 »
Some are capsules. ;D
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 18:32 »
My Ipod also works as an excellent watch.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum