Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Conduit search engine  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Conduit search engine
« on: May 07, 2012, 23:08 »
I inadvertently typed Googl maps into  Chrome and malware called Conduit search engine hijacked my browser!   Conduit appeared each time I clicked on Chrome and it was very difficult to get rid of.  System restore failed and Chrome would not download again.  Strangely, it kept all my bookmarks and settings and I hadn't even realised I'd been hijacked!  An internet search on another computer said that it directs your searches to its own websites and steals information.  I eventually uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it again and now all seems reasonably well although I'm now going to carry out a full scan.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Conduit search engine
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 23:40 »
A quick Google search suggests that it can be removed via Add / Remove Programs, but toolbars may be left behind.  These may possibly be removed via the Add-ons component in your browser.  Revo Uninstaller was also recommended. 

Good luck!  :)

P.S.  Is that the machine with Avira on it, Clive?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:11 »
No it's the F-Secure machine.  But I uninstalled Chrome through Add/Remove and then reinstalled it again using Avant.  F-Secure says my machine is clean.  Conduit is a very clever piece of malware.  >:(

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:12 »
Oh, it doesn't show up in Add/Remove because it masquerades as your 'usual' search engine.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 11:00 »
According to most of what I've found about it online, it's not considered as malware, but given it installs itself without permission, and is a bugger to get rid of, I'd dispute that.  Unfortunately, F-Secure, like most suites, doesn't offer browser protection for Chrome.  If you'd happened to have been using IE, or (I think) Firefox, it would probably have blocked it. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 19:38 »
That's interesting Simon - thanks for that.  Yes, I definitely consider it to be malware since it installs itself without permission.  I have no doubt that Chrome will eventually become the most popular browser when all security software suits will cater for it.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum