Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows 8 panned as 'Christmas gift for someone you hate'  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Windows 8 is a "Christmas gift for someone you hate," well-known techie Philip Greenspun wrote Wednesday.

"Suppose that you are an expert user of Windows NT/XP/Vista/7, an expert user of an iPad, and an expert user of an Android phone," wrote Greenspun, a computer scientist who teaches at MIT, "you will have no idea how to use Windows 8."

Windows 8 lacks consistent "back" and "home" buttons that make tablet experiences work, and "integrates the tablet and the standard Windows desktop in the most inconvenient and inconsistent possible way," Greenspun opined, adding: "The only device that I can remember being as confused by is the BlackBerry PlayBook."

In a side note at the bottom, Greenspun theorized that tech writers have given Windows 8 decent reviews because "journalists love anything new, different, and complicated. Windows 8 is all of those things."

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/tech/article/Windows-8-panned-as-Christmas-gift-for-someone-4097456.php

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Windows 8 panned as 'Christmas gift for someone you hate'
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 19:58 »
 ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Windows 8 panned as 'Christmas gift for someone you hate'
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 22:30 »
What a self important pratt! If he had spent any time learning and trying it out he would have found that it is even quicker and  more secure than the windows 95 he is using. Plonker   :o 

I never thought I would like W8 but I installed it on my spare computer to try it for a few weeks. After 2 days I liked it so much I installed my on my other two computers and am so glad I did.
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum