Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Microsoft withdraws patch after botched security update  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Microsoft has withdrawn a patch from its monthly security update, after complaints of boot issues from Windows 7 users.

The 2823324 update released as part of this month's Patch Tuesday was supposed to fix a moderate level flaw in Windows 7 and Vista, which required an attacker to have access to the PC, but caused problems for users.

Windows 7 users installing the update saw error messages on rebooting, with a recommendation to run chkdsk.

Others reported the infamous blue screen of death or a recommendation to boot from the system disk. Issues were predominantly reported in Brazil, particularly on machines running 64-bit processors.

"As a precaution, we stopped pushing 2823324 as an update when we began investigating the error reports, and have since removed it from the download center," Microsoft said in a post on its security blog.

There were additional user reports that the update conflicted with machines running Kaspersky's antivirus.

Kaspersky ran its own investigation and noted that the patch would either disable customers’ antivirus protection or run chkdsk automatically on start. The antivirus company advised its customers to uninstall the patch and issued its own fix for affected customers.

This is the second time this year Microsoft has botched a security update, with users previously reporting problems after a bad patch in March.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/381121/microsoft-withdraws-patch-after-botched-security-update
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Microsoft withdraws patch after botched security update
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 12:21 »
This is why I never ever allow automatic updates.   :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 13:20 »
This is why I'm glad I've still got XP  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 16:38 »
I wouldn't allow them on XP either.  I just don't understand why M$oft doesn't check out these patches before they are released.  :dunno:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 17:19 »
In their defence, I expect they do, but they can't realistically test every possible conflict with third party software.  Isn't it Kaspersky that's had trouble with this patch?

Also, they aren't the only ones to put out dodgy patches.  One of the last Apple updates knocked out wifi on many devices. 

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum