Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: text boxes displayed when cursor hovers  (Read 4060 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
text boxes displayed when cursor hovers
« on: September 07, 2013, 21:59 »
Bit strange i know but i've got a pc related query  :)x

When i hover the mouse cursor on websites on bits where i would normally get some kind of text box with information, the box appears for a brief fraction of a second then disappears.. This is using windows 7 64 bit and Firefox 20.0.1. i have no such problem with another laptop running Vista nor on another laptop running the same OS and FF 23.0.1. Anybody know what problem could be ?  :dunno:

(i'm a bit reluctant to upgrade FF to the latest version on my laptop. but i'll try it as a last resort.)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: text boxes displayed when cursor hovers
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 22:39 »
Could be a malfunctioning script, perhaps?  I think the first thing I'd probably do is start the browser with no add-ons (Help > Restart with Add-ons disabled), then if that cures the issue, enable them one by one and see if any of them are causing the problem.  You can also go to http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/ to check if all of your plugins are up to date.  Failing that, reinstalling the browser is probably the next thing to try.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 23:22 »
Could be a malfunctioning script, perhaps?  I think the first thing I'd probably do is start the browser with no add-ons (Help > Restart with Add-ons disabled), then if that cures the issue, enable them one by one and see if any of them are causing the problem.  You can also go to http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/ to check if all of your plugins are up to date.  Failing that, reinstalling the browser is probably the next thing to try.

Cheers Simon i'll try that later and report back  :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 13:38 »
Good suggestion Simon, it was video download helper (the only add on i had)  :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 15:08 »
Glad it's sorted.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 15:33 »
Actually i spoke too soon, turns out i've got quite a few addons and it wasn't the video download helper. i'll have to systematically work through them to find the culprit. At least i know one of them is definitely to blame.  :thumbs:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 17:29 »
Good luck!  :)

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 00:40 »
In updated firebox ad blocker or pop up blocker will cause the problem

I had the problem with flash block and ad-block plus

Seems when you run Firefox popup blocker and another popup blocker  it creates a error
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:39 »
Thanks Davy but AFAIK i haven't got ad blocker or pop up blocker installed. :dunno:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 11:28 »
No luck with the add-ons then, Dave?

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 13:27 »
It's a bit odd, in that if i run Firefox as you suggested in "addons disabled" mode the problem goes away. However If i disable the addons from within Firefox, even if i disable all of them the problem remains. I even upgraded to 23.0.1 with no luck. It's not a big problem, just annoying because i can't fix it.  :crazy:.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 13:34 »
"Add-ons disabled" mode probably disables everything, including plugins and extensions.  So, maybe it's a plugin or an extension causing it?  Do you get the option to disable them in Add-ons Manager?

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 19:25 »
"Add-ons disabled" mode probably disables everything, including plugins and extensions.  So, maybe it's a plugin or an extension causing it?  Do you get the option to disable them in Add-ons Manager?

Yes, that's what i'm using when i disable them from within Firefox. Even with all plugins disabled via addon manager the problem persists so must be something less obvious.
AFAIK i only have one extension i.e. Videodownload helper. Missus Daveeb has same version of FF and same OS but no such problem, but as she is always right it's to be expected  :)x.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 19:42 »
OK, perhaps try a new Firefox profile?  You can transfer your bookmarks, saved cookies, etc, from your old profile.  That said, I'd try a simple reinstall first. 

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum