Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: xp pro rebooting by itself  (Read 987 times)

Offline mello

• New Registration
xp pro rebooting by itself
« on: June 10, 2003, 13:20 »
After installing XP pro I have had difficulty booting directly. What happens is that my pc goes through all the initial checks ram peripherals etc and then looks as though it is going to boot up as a blue screen appears with the dreaded hour glass. My PC then reboots automatically and goes through the process all again it does this over and over until I go to the options on booting where you can opt for ?last known good configuration?. This resolves the situation for the period that am on my machine but if I switch it off and back on again the original problem of booting reoccurs , could someone please, please help me as I?m pulling my hair out. I have a 1600+ Amd processor and a 40gb matrox hard drive.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:xp pro rebooting by itself
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 13:39 »
Hi Mello,welcome aboard.

When you shut down,does it save your settings etc. and shut down properly?
Have you got multiple users set on it so its starting up and wanting to use the settings of another user?
Does it say anything before it reboots (usual "beginning physical memory dump" or anything else)?

Offline mello

• New Registration
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 15:50 »
1 Yes it shuts down properly
2 there are no other users
3 it doesn't say anything at all when rebooting.

if i press the reset button all that happens is that i get a blue screen and a frozen hour glass

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 14:24 »
Sorry for the delay Mello,I have been a bit tied up with another problem.
I found this which seems like it may be the answer as it says it may or not stay on screen long enough for you to see the error screen.
That was what threw me as XP always seems to tell you what it is doing so that you have a chance of locating the problem.

Have a look here and try what it suggests.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314466

If that doesnt fix it let us know and hopefully someone else may have an idea  :-*

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 23:10 »
@mello

Boot the PC, if it won?t boot into XP as normal boot into safe mode (F8), right click on My Computer, select Properties, select the Advanced Tab, under Start-up and Recovery click Settings, and under System Failure untick the box Automatic Restart, reboot and see if that cures the problem

If you?re hard drive C has less than 1.5Mb of space then that could be the problem because XP needs that much space to use as a swap file (It loads programs and Data there to run faster)

Brian ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum