Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Should I Re-install XP?  (Read 7655 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Should I Re-install XP?
« on: June 10, 2003, 14:03 »
I've had a nightmare of a few days.  First I had a suspected trojan, which was never found, but now seems to have disappeared (discussed here).  I also have the ongoing issue of my IE Favorites problem (see here), which is still not resolved (that didn't work, Brian).  I've tried re-installing IE in many ways, but without success.  It seems there's no way to remove it as it is built in to XP.  Now I have another bundle of problems:

1. I installed the latest version of Windows Messenger, but despite having no task bar (system tray) icon, it kept automatically logging me on.  This was also despite unticking the auto start / auto log on boxes, and was very annoying as I didn't even know I was signed in to Messenger.  In the end I found a way to uninstall Windows Messenger (from Google), by way of a registry (hack?) entry.  Trillian, by the way, still works fine.

2. I went to check my e-mails this morning, and find that whenever I click the send / receive button, all I get is an error box saying 'Operation failed'.  Nothing else.  Great help.  I find on the MS Knowledge Database that to cure this problem I must create a new profile in Outlook.  Having done this, I find that all my e-mail accounts / settings / mail / address book, are locked in the 'old' profile, so I have to proceed with exporting / importing everything, with varying degrees of success.  I still have to set up all my e-mail accounts again, as I can't find out where they are stored.  I think the original profile may have been corrupted by Reg Cleaner removing things it shouldn't.  Either that or by me fiddling, trying to re-install IE, but I fail to see the connection there.

3. On top of all this, my System Restore no longer seems to work, which might have saved me a lot of hassle if it had.  You go through the process, only to be told that it hasn't worked, and none of your settings have been changed.

All in all, I'm getting pretty p**sed off, and I'm wondering whether to bite the bullet and try to do a full format / re-install of XP.  Never having done this, except when the machine was brand new, I'm a little apprehensive.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I think I'm gradually getting the various problems solved, but everything feels a mess, and I don't trust my PC anymore at the moment.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Re:Should I Re-install XP?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 14:22 »
I'm one of these sad organised people who does a full clean install once every 6 months or so. It seems to speed up the PC and keeps files organised.

The problem is remembering to backup or keep copies of all data and programs that you collect over time.  Its also a nightmare installing all the windows / security updates once again. It can also be a bit of a nightmare if you download lots of freeware etc and need to go and download them all again.

So if you're up for it a full clean re-install will speed up your PC etc - but remember to backup everything you need and make a list of all your programs - so you  know that you can install them all again.

It'll take a while but it's worth it  ;)

DJ1UK

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 14:31 »
Simon.. going back a few months I had exactly the same probs as you mate.. Msg was in Outlook express (tickbox) unticked now ok..No system restore point, so a reinstall on top of the other one cleared all my problems and now have a regular system restore point as well.

Hookstar

Also dont forget a back up ;)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 14:43 »
Hi, Simon.  I rarely have PC problems, which I put down to the fact that twice a year I format both my Hard Drives and start afresh.  Then again, I keep my system as lean as possible, so it isn't much hassle.   Being a non-gamer, reinstallation is a snip.  In fact, I have two Hard Drives, my c:\ drive being just 4.3GB and in spite of having the Operating System, the whole of Office 2000, Encyclopedia Britanica Multimedia Edition, Autoroute Express, and all the essenatials such as anti-virus, firewall, winzip, mailwaher, alternative browsers etc.etc. loaded on it, I still have 2GB free.  My d:\ drive is just 1.2GB and stores my documents and e-mails, plus the downloaded setup files for the essential utilities.

I don't know how much you have on your machine, Simon.  That will probably be the determining factor in reaching your decision.  However, whenever my relatives have had multiple problems (and having young children who hit the download button without knowing what they are downloading, they have regular problems) I have found that format and reinstall is ultimately quicker than messing about trying to solve one problem after the other.

Adept

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 14:55 »
If you can be sure of your backups, there is no reason not to have a clean-out every now and again Simon. As the others have said, it will help maintain the speed of your PC.

The only thing stopping me re-installing my machine is that I have so much cra stuff on it that I'm not certain I can find it to back it up :-\

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 18:10 »
Simon.. This might be of help >>XP Repair<<

Hookstar

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 18:31 »
Thanks for all the ideas, guys.  In the end I did a Run > sfc /scannow.  It said there were missing files, and asked for the XP CD, so I popped it in, and off it went, but didn't seem to do much else.  However, although the Import Favorites in IE is still out of sorts, everything else seems OK.  I guess I'll stick with Mozilla (good browser!) until IE7 comes out.

I know I would be better off re-installing XP, but it's a bit like hard work re-installing all the programs and stuff afterwards, let alone all the MS Updates.  I'll see how things go for a bit.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 22:41 »
@Simon
You should consider removing IE6 from your PC which will then revert to IE5.5 or IE 5; this may fix your problem with IE.  You should also consider a complete clean reinstall of XP and all your other programs, I say this because any repair may be OK for now but the odds are that you will get more problems in the future.

When (If) you do reconfigure the PC you should install Norton Ghost and create a ghost image of your C: drive (must be on another drive or partition) this will enable you to reinstall XP and all the other programs that you use in about 10mins.

Brian ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2003, 23:07 »
You should consider removing IE6 from your PC...

But how?  It's not in add / remove, and Windows Components only removes the icons.  There doesn't actually seem to be a way to remove IE6 from XP, unless I'm being totally stupid.  

I found a registry tweak, which was supposed to make Windows think IE6 isn't installed, and in theory, this would enable an installation over the top.  All that happened was it got halfway through the installation, then something happened (can't remember what now!), anyway it failed, but I'm blaming it for the subsequent corruption of Outlook, resulting in me having to create a new profile, among other problems.  I'm guessing it screwed up one of the application data folders.

I think I've managed to sort out most of the other problems, and did a scan disc, which replaced some files.  Windows seems to be running OK, and IE still works (apart from not being able to Import Favorites from Mozilla, or anywhere else), so I think it would be more stress and work than is currently warranted to attempt to re-install XP.  It would take me days to get everything back to 'normal', so I think I'm going to stick to Mozilla until a new IE comes out, which should (technically) install OK.

Offline lobo

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2003, 23:25 »
@Simon
This may or may not help simon, go to

http://support.microsoft.com/

and search for uninstall IE there are a few guidelines in there but from your post it looks as if you have already done then

"By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be removed"

The only entries im my add and remove folder are to the IE service packs

Brian ;D

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2003, 23:35 »
Simon,if you got to Add/Remove programs in control panel there is an icon on the left that says Add/Remove Windows Components.
Click on that and it will bring a box up where you can untick IE and remove it  :-*

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2003, 23:38 »
Mmm, thanks Brian.  That's where I got the registry thing from before, which failed to work.  I wonder if it's because there's no previous version to roll back to?  Anyway, as it caused so much hassle last time, I don't really want to try it again.

I know...   ;D ;D  (That's supposed to be a chicken, by the way!)  ::)

Offline lobo

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2003, 23:47 »
Must brush up on your bird watching skills Simon

(That's supposed to be a chicken, by the way!)  

Brian lol
 ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2003, 23:50 »
Well, it's not easy plucking a chicken out of thin air!   ;D ;D

Offline lobo

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2003, 23:52 »
Ahhhhhhhh ???

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum