Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Domain Registration Suggestions  (Read 3237 times)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Domain Registration Suggestions
« on: June 13, 2003, 10:31 »
Hi All,

Didn't know if this was the right place to put this (or the suggestion pages) anyway just wondering if anyone has a good domain registration company that they would recommend.

I currently use one&one, but after upgrading to a package last month, I wanted to get rid of it and downgrade just to the domain registration package. But they wouldn't allow it. The only way to do it is to cancel the contract and start again - but I'm worried that my domain might get taken.

So I just need a company that supports web forwarding/masking, and email forwarding. No pop3 accounts are needed or hosting - my ISP gives me this. Its a .co.uk domain.

I'll prob be transferring the domain - so any advice on this would be great as well!

Thanks

DJ1UK

Adept

Re:Domain Registration Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 11:05 »
Seems as good a place as any DJ ;)

I use 123reg.co.uk and would recommend them to anyone.

Their prices are very cheap and you get very good facilities such as mail and website redirection and changing nameservers etc. - everything you could possibly need :)

Adept

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 11:08 »
Forgot to mention about transferring... ::)

Transferring with 123Reg is easy as pie for a .co.uk. You simply request that your current domain registrat change the IPSTAG for the domain to WEBFUSION, fire up 123Reg's website, go to your control panel and choose the transfer option. 123Reg will then send out an email to confirm the transfer. You click on the link provided in the email and voila! the domain is in your 123Reg control panel. Couldn't be easier ;)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2003, 21:56 »
Ok I've gone and done it!

Everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the advice Adept.  :)

DJ1UK

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 10:37 »
:doh: Having a few little problems....

My domain forwarding - I type in the domain address and it forwards to the forwarding address (so far so good), but changes the address in the address bar to the forwarding address. Is there any way of setting up a masked address, so that the domain stays the same all the time?

Email Forwarding - It isn't working full stop. I send an email to my domain - and it never gets forwarded to my forwarding address. What could be wrong here? I've set up a catch all email address (bottom option) is this wrong?

Thanks

DJ1UK

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 10:45 »
Sorted out my domain forwarding problem - just needed to be framed version.

The email problem - noticed that when changing nameservers services are disabled for 48 hours - I haven't changed them manually, but they would have changed when I changed hosts.  Will this be the problem?

Thanks

DJ1UK

Adept

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 10:46 »
Web Forwarding

Try "Framed web-forwarding" this shows your redirected web page in a frame so that it appears to be coming from your domain.

Email Forwarding
If you want anything@yourdomain.com to be redirected to anything@someispdomain.co.uk you need to set up option 3 (Forward mail sent to user@yourdomain.com to user@[the domain name entered below]) and put yourdomain.com (whatever it is) in the box at the bottom of the page.

Don't forget that it can sometimes take a couple of hours for the change to propagate.

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2003, 10:48 »
Thanks Adept - I'll give it a go.

Sorry for the bit of cross posting above ;)

UPDATE> Everything is working fine now.  Thanks for all the help Adept.

DJ1UK

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum