Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Apollo 11: Partial lunar eclipse on 50th anniversary  (Read 981 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Skywatchers across the UK have witnessed a partial lunar eclipse, 50 years to the day since the US mission to put men on the Moon lifted off.

The surface of Earth's satellite appeared red or dark grey at the height of the eclipse at about 22:30 BST. Lunar eclipses occur when the Earth crosses between the Sun and Moon - casting a shadow on the lunar surface. The Apollo 11 mission carrying Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins blasted off on 16 July 1969. Four days later Armstrong became the first man to step on to the Moon's surface.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48999117
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Apollo 11: Partial lunar eclipse on 50th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 18:55 »
It was an awesome sight - much better than I anticipated. The colour in the photo doesn't do it any justice at all because it was far more red than that and it seemed very surreal.  Mrs Clive took a photo of it on her iPad but I didn't see what it turned out like.  I'll take a look later. 

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum