Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Steve Wright: Radio 2 presenter dies aged 69  (Read 344 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Steve Wright: Radio 2 presenter dies aged 69
« on: February 13, 2024, 17:18 »
DJ Steve Wright, who presented programmes for BBC Radio 1 and Radio 2 for more than four decades, has died at the age of 69.

His family confirmed his death "with deep sorrow and profound regret" in a statement on Tuesday.

Wright joined the BBC in the 1970s and went on to host the afternoon shows on Radio 1 and Radio 2.

He also fronted television programmes for the BBC, including Top of the Pops.

Wright was last on air on Sunday, hosting a pre-recorded special Valentine's Day edition of his Love Songs programme.

Wright's family said: "It is with deep sorrow and profound regret that we announce the passing of our beloved Steve Wright.

"In addition to his son, Tom, and daughter, Lucy, Steve leaves behind his brother, Laurence and his father Richard. Also, much-loved close friends and colleagues, and millions of devoted radio listeners who had the good fortune and great pleasure of allowing Steve into their daily lives as one of the UK's most enduring and popular radio personalities.

"As we all grieve, the family requests privacy at this immensely difficult time."

Paying tribute to Wright after his death was announced, an emotional Radio 2 presenter Sara Cox said: "It's really hard to know what to say about the news of Steve Wright's passing, except we are all shocked and devastated and blindsided by this news.

"Steve was an extraordinary broadcaster, a really kind person, he was witty, he was warm, and he was a huge, huge part of the Radio 2 family, and I know my fellow DJs will all be absolutely shattered too."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68287707
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Steve Wright: Radio 2 presenter dies aged 69
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 18:27 »
That is so sad. Other than Wogan he was the main reason to listen to Radio 2.  :rip:
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 20:09 »
I agree Den.  I always enjoyed Steve Wright in the Afternoon when he played all the oldies.  I wonder what he died of?   

:rip:  Steve Wright

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 20:25 »
I enjoyed his afternoon show for many years.  This is a complete shock.  Radio 2 has become unlistenable in the last couple of years. 

:rip:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum