Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Drivers  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Drivers
« on: November 27, 2002, 23:46 »
I have just downloaded an update driver from Windows Update for Nvidia Graphics. Do I have to go into system device and do update driver or will it install itself when I reboot.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Drivers
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 07:31 »
Lona, it's much like installing a program.  If you were not given the option to install the drivers once the download had completed, find where the download went, and you should find a set up, or installation icon there somewhere.  Click on that to run the installation, then if all goes OK, you'll probably be prompted to reboot.

That's how it's always worked for me anyway, but I have to admit, it's not something I do every day, so you may want to hang on for a second opinion.   ;) :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Online Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 09:02 »
I recently downloaded an upgrade for my NVidia Graphics card and it installed itself on reboot without any problem.  It made quite a difference too.

Adept

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 09:38 »
Lona, I wouldn't recommend that you use the standard Mirosoft nVidia drivers, as they tend to slow things down a bit.

I recommend that you go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest Detonator drivers (as Clive did ;))

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2002, 14:30 »
I am in nvidia's site at the moment and downloading the detonator driver. Will this work alright with integrated nvidia graphics? ???

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2002, 15:00 »
They should do Lona  :-*

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2002, 16:39 »
I have just installed the new driver and my screen now has a black band all round it and the picture seems elonggated. What could be wrong?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2002, 17:40 »
Right, do you have buttons on the front of your monitor?  You might be able to use them to adjust the geometry of your screen.  This happened to me when I installed a new graphics card.  All the display was squashed towards the bottom right hand corner, but a quick tinker with the screen settings solved it.

Hope that helps, if not, the new driver could be fighting with the old one, which would mean uninstalling one of them, but I'm not sure if uninstalling the new one would still leave the old one intact.  What was the reason you needed to update your drivers in the first place?

See below!    :-[ ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2002, 19:03 »
I hope I've caught you before following Simon's advice Lona  ::) :o

What has happened is the new driver has defaulted to a different refresh rate than your old driver.

All you need to do is the following:-

Go to Control Panel,
select Display Properties,
go to the Settings tab,
click the Advanced button,
select the Adapter tab,
change the Refresh Rate selection to Optimal
click Apply

(I'm assuming you are using Windows 9x, it's slightly different in XP)

Hope this helps  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2002, 01:17 »
I think that shes on ME Adept from her earlier posts  :-*

I had a problem with my refresh rate when I changed my monitor,it was set to optimum and wouldnt let me change the res above 800 X 600. I had to change the refresh rate to default to enable a higher res to be set  ???

At least if you alter it and it doesnt get the screen you want Lona you can always do as you have done and restore it to where you are now.
Have a play around with it and see what happens  ;)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2002, 17:46 »
Thanks everyone for your help. I did go into control panel, Adept, and it was set to optimal and 800X600. I was scared to do any other monkeying about and did a system restore. I am back to my old driver and don't know how to get the update back without downloading it again. It was in excess of 11 meg and took 2 hours to download so I think I will leave well alone. I thought it would improve things but I will never know now. Just call me "chicken" :)
This machine is over 2 years old, maybe that driver is not meant to work with my system or maybe I'm just plain dumb ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2002, 18:58 »
Presumably the driver will still be where you downloaded it to Lona.
If you cant remember and cant find it with a file search,go back to the site and start to download it again but when you see where it wants to download it to you can cancel and find the original in that location  :-*

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum