Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: WIN ME or XP  (Read 4951 times)

Offline arthurb

WIN ME or XP
« on: July 15, 2003, 01:43 »
My main pc usage is digital photos/videos,email and a little web usage. I've been happy enough with winme but I am contemplating loading xp since it is the latest version of windows and I'm in the process of installing another hdd (another story  :'(. Would the benefits be far greater? Or would I struggle to notice the difference?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:WIN ME or XP
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 01:59 »
You are one of a few people that I have heard that like ME Arthur,most people go back to 98SE or on to XP who have had ME just to get rid of it  ::)
If it does all you need and you are happy with it then I would stick with it.
XP is usually more stable than 98 or ME and if a program crashes it usually only crashes that one program and you dont need to reboot the PC.
It will take a bit of getting used to and some people have been put off it by that but I like the way it looks and works apart from the way it seems to want to save everthing into user/documents and settings  :o
I tell it to save mine to D/whatever then I can find stuff easily withough going through a long path to get to stuff  ;)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 02:14 »
I have WIN ME and I don't have many problems with it crashing. I can't be bothered changing as I would lose a lot of stuff and can't think to copy all my rubbish on to CDs. :)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline arthurb

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 03:34 »
So far I'm with you Lona.

Offline Gemini

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 07:38 »
Well, I'm with Sandra  :)  I think XP is great, I was sooo glad to get rid of ME.  I like the system restore for when things go wrong, its much more user friendly and stable.
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/gemsig2.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 10:19 »
Ok, most people who are on W2K or it's variant XP, like myself have been on either W95/98 or Mill, and I have not heard of a single one reverting back. Now if that don't answer you question arthub I'm a Dutch man. I've had W95 and W98se, and the day I installed W2K Pro was the day I stepped out of the darkness into the light,I kicked myself I had not done it earlier.

From a user point of view it looks and feels like the Win98/Mill interface, so don't worry in that regard, only differance you will notice is it is a fantasticly stable OS after using W98se [I'm talking from my own experiance of W2K Pro here]

W2K Pro is the most secure OS Microsoft have, and thats official. And if you install Goback or Goback Deluxe, which incidently makes XP's 'System Restore' look like a one legged man in a two legged race, see my web page http://www.tonysugrue.co.uk/ your onto a winner. [Goback can be put on a XP machine no prob]

Look Lona and arthub, get a grip on reality, and stop acting like a couple of luddites :tony: you'll thank me for being so blunt, honest you will.  ;D

arthub, you have XP then load the bloody thing, and Lona you have friends "cough" so get on with it.

If your systems ain't got a CD-RW then buy one, they are a must. Back up all personal data, photos whatever, and walk into the light  ;D

Got to go,it's 'tinker time' Parcel Force are here with a hard drive I ordered from Dabs.com early yesterday, not bad seeing as I did not pay for premium nexy day delivery.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 10:43 »
XP is ok as long as you dont mind having to ask m$oft for permission to carry on using your pc after you make a few changes to the hardware.

does anyone know if the next os will have this "feature"

>:(

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 12:29 »
Dave.. thats only the Home edition that has that, if you go for the Pro version you can change it as many times as you want.

I converted to XP over christmas 2002 and was the best thing I have done on my puter.. not 1 BOD so far and so easy to use now I have mastered it  ;D.

There is always the option to use Classic windows in XP which I started out with.. but now a convert to XP  ;D

Hookstar

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 12:38 »
XP is the dogs nuts m8, vastly superior to any other Windows O/S other than W2k, if you intend to play games then install XP otherwise W2k is your O/S to use, very stable and a good all round platform.

Brian :sokay:
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Adept

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2003, 13:35 »
I'm never one to go with the majority, but ME or XP - that's no choice - a no brainer as our US cousins would call it ;) XP every time!

Tony - I think we made the right choice naming :tony: after you ;D

Hookstar - Windows XP Pro will complain if you change too much hardware too. I know I was that soldier ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2003, 14:35 »
Just to add my two pennath, seeing as the world and his dog already has, ;D  I would never go back to W98SE, having now been using XP for the best part of a year, but I can understand Arthur's and Lona's apprehensions to take the plunge.

It's like having a really comfy armchair, isn't it?  You don't want to get rid of it, but you know it's had it's day, and sooner or later it's going to collapse!

Totally without experience, about a year ago, I took advice from many Pals, and built myself a new PC, so the obvious course of events was to install XP on the new PC.  On a new Hard Drive, you just bung the CD in, and it basically does it all for you.  It's sooo simple!!  

I'm sure that you would both find lots of help from people on PC Pals if you were to take the plunge - all I can say is...

:gofor:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2003, 14:53 »
I think you have hit the nail on the head Simon.  Despite Me crashing twice a day, I was quite happy with it.  However, when Mrs Clive bought a new PC with XP, I could immediately see the advantages when she no longer kept saying "my %$(&* computer has crashed."  She used Win 98.  I took to XP like a duck to water and there is no doubt that it is far more stable. I would never go back to Me again.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2003, 15:50 »

XP is ok as long as you dont mind having to ask m$oft for permission to carry on using your pc after you make a few changes to the hardware.

does anyone know if the next os will have this "feature"

>:(

Now Brian sez XP Pro no problem in that regard, Adept say's change enough and often and you can be ringing Bill to switch Pro on as well, all I know is W2K Pro no probs in that regard  ::)

I'm not a gamer, security and stability are my prime requirements plus bugger ringing Bill up if I fancy building a new PC.

Adept wrote:
Tony - I think we made the right choice naming :tony: after you  ;D

Well I thought, least I could do was merit it's inclusion in the post, and you know sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind  ::) ;)  

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2003, 17:22 »
I've never seen W2K, Pro or otherwise (Home?) in action, but it's something I'd be interested to play with, not that I'm not perfectly happy with XP.

Next time I have to do anything major on my PC, which involves formating the hard drive, I might create a space for W2K Pro, and give it a workout.  Unless, that is, I can pursuade a friend to try it!   ;) ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2003, 18:57 »
Simon,

you've got Partition Magic, so it ain't any hassle making space for W2K, don't worry thats what PM is all about, createing partitions on a live PC,  you'll just need to download SP4 from Microsoft. I thought you were supposed to have installed it for a friend ages ago  ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum