Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Pc trouble :/  (Read 7354 times)

Offline Solo

Pc trouble :/
« on: August 02, 2003, 16:00 »
Ok here's the jist, when i switch my pc on for the first time in the day, it tend's to freeze up, also likes to reboot it's self, also when i try restarting sometimes it don't get a signal, after about 20 mins of doing this it will then run smooth as a button. I dunno if it's a hardware fault, if it is i will replace the part, but have no idea what one it could be :/ (Also this never happened till the day i installed XP)

Spec's

Amd 2600+
512 DDR Ram 3200
80 Gig Wd 8 meg cache Hdd
Gigabyte 7vaxp Motherbored.
Gforce 4 Ti4200

Offline joudi

• Established Member
Re:Pc trouble :/
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 16:29 »
Hi solo,

let's see till one of the experienced one show.

In the "start menu", have you set up your computer for many users "sessions"?

Perhaps it's better to wait the proffessionals.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Solo

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 16:49 »
It's a single use pc, and i've reinstalled XP twice :/

Adept

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 18:09 »
Hi Solo :welcome:

The freeze-up thing sounds like a problem with XP, but the restart problem does sound very much like a hardware fault :(

A couple of things you might want to try:-

- make sure your memory chips and PCI cards are correctly in place. Sometimes removing and re-installing cards and memory can stop random re-boots.

- Check that the processor fan is spinning freely.

- Your BIOS should contain information about the current CPU temperature. Let us know what it says so we can tell you if it is a bit high.

Hope this helps :)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 18:30 »
Adept.

Would it also give some clues in the EVENT Viewer, I know when I have troubles with XP thats the 1st place I look  ;)

Hookstar

Adept

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 18:39 »
Yes it probably would Hookstar. The trouble with XP is that the event log is never "clean" -  there are always error messages don't really cause any critical problems. This makes it difficult to track down which error is the one that caused the problem.

Writing down the exact time a freeze-up occurred might help in this regard :)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 18:46 »
Yes I know what you mean adept.. but if Solo has loads of red Xs in there one of them must show the fault  8)

I clean mine out every 2 weeks.. scares the Preverbal  out of me seeing all those red Xs in there  :o

Hookstar

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2003, 19:28 »
Hi Solo, did you do a clean, new installation of XP, or did you install it as an upgrade from something else?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Solo

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2003, 20:10 »
Fresh install, 3td time actually, although i did notice that when i stripped pc down, cleaned it and rebuit in didn't crash for like a week. Mt cpu fan is fine and the temp is @ 41 now.

Adept

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2003, 20:18 »

Mt cpu fan is fine and the temp is @ 41 now.

Well that eliminates that as a possibility then :)

What power supply are you using Solo? Is it 300W or above?

Offline Solo

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2003, 23:00 »
300  :)

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2003, 23:04 »
I also have a 300W PSU and I'm running a 2000XP which eats power so it can produce enough heat to heat 7 average UK homes every night  ;D

What make/memory GeForce 4 Ti4200 have you got? Getting one for my birthday and want to know what you think of it  :)
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Solo

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2003, 23:11 »
good stable card, no problems with the lastest games, also it's "Creative"

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2003, 23:43 »
It seems strange that this started happening when you installed XP.  Did you tinker with any hardware at all that day, Solo?  I'm just wondering if one of the many 'services' XP has running in the background, might be fighting against something else, and causing problems?  If you go into the Startup and Recovery screen, by right clicking My Computer, then Properties > Advanced > System Startup and Recovery > Settings, and disable the Automatic Restart function, you might then get an error message, instead of it rebooting, which may help with the diagnosis.  

Just a thought.  Probably way off track as usual!     ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Solo

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2003, 16:33 »
I installed a new a sound card, but that was just before i installed XP, also when it freezes on first boot sometimes i reset / turn power off and i get no signal to monitor, also some times screen flickers, but after like 10 mins it's fine, i'm not sure if it could be the ram of the gfx card.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum