Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Pc trouble :/  (Read 7356 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:Pc trouble :/
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2003, 23:17 »
Well the link worked.. but I didnt try any down loads  8)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2003, 23:21 »
Yes that bit works ok Hookie until you get to the final download bit then its page not displayed time  :(

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2003, 23:33 »
Likes to reboot it's self

XP has a default setting that reboots itself when it encounters an error, to alter this, right click on the My Computer Icon, select Properties, click on the Advanced Tab then select Settings in Start  up and Recovery.  Make sure the tick box alongside Automatic restart is unticked then click OK and close,

Event Viewer, Open the Control Panel and select Administrative Tools, select Event Viewer and click on the System log, in here you will find items with a red X and the error message alongside it double click on an error and see if you can make out what the problem is

Brian ;D

url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline lobo

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2003, 23:35 »

Yes that bit works ok Hookie until you get to the final download bit then its page not displayed time  :(

Sandra
Just started the download from the 4 in 1 site no problems

Brian ;D

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2003, 23:54 »
Still wont work for me  ???

Offline lobo

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2003, 00:01 »
Just checked the site and its stoped downloading you will have to try agian later

Brian

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2003, 12:52 »
Hmmmmm

The machine reboots itself, but then it doesn't start (no signal)?!

I would definately say hardware problem since this is prebios!

Likely suspects:

Graphics Card
Mainboard
Memory

I've seen a lot of problematic CREATIVE graphics cards, and since thats still under warranty - lets hope thats the problem.

Always hard to test hardware on your own, but if you can borrow a friends card etc - test that out on your system...

good luck!

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2003, 20:34 »
I'd take a stab at the power supply being a bit low/noisy in the 5v department. Alternatively one of the smooting capacitors degrading slightly on the motherboard and introducing noise to the system.

If your graphic card is not getting enough power to initialise then you'll get the no-sync message. A lot of the currrent cards put a major drain on the power supply (had one two weeks ago that wouldn't boot up until changed PS).

Try removing the soundcard temporarily and seeing if that fixes the problem (as you would then be requiring less current).

This would also account for random lock up and reboots as it would affect the entire system (the K75SA boards are notorious for this).
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Solo_

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2003, 21:20 »
Update, got a new gfx card and it ain't the memory :/ anyway i could test parts?

Offline Solo_

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2003, 21:29 »
Could it be the PSU? althought that won't explain no signal/no boot at start :/

Adept

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2003, 21:35 »

Could it be the PSU? althought that won't explain no signal/no boot at start :/

It could actually. If the PSU is not giving the right voltage/current when the PC starts, the graphics card may not initialise correctly. This would cause you to get a no signal message on your monitor.

As Dack says, it may be worth reducing the load on your PCs PSU by removing some PCI cards temporarily. It's worth a try ;)

Offline Solo_

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2003, 22:27 »
I don't get a "no signal msg" just power comes on, fans etc start, nothing else from there

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2003, 09:24 »
Thats what happens :) The no signal message we've refered to is generated by the monitor when it hasn't got a picture to display (at least most monitors these days, others just refuse to come on).

When the computer is powered up it goes through several steps to check the machine out before you get to see the graphics card message (followed by the bios string and drive search etc.)

If any one of the pre-checks fail you usually get a beep code, indicating the fault, e.g. 1 long beep meaning no memory, 8 beeps meaning no video card detected (these are if you have an AMI bios) etc. If it just seems to lock then, in my experience, it's usually down to a component being detected correctly but failing when asked to do something (as it would then require more power.) This manifests itself as system lock ups where all the components seem to be working but nothing happens.

Do you hear anything (beep code wise) when trying to power up?

Another thing worth trying is running:
http://www.memtest86.com/
as it tends to identify dodgy memory and power supplies. Be aware it does take a while to run as its a very thorough test.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Solo_

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2003, 14:32 »
Alot of the time in first boot where i say i have no signal, my pc comes on, power tuns etc, it don't turn monitor on (screen stays black) and it don't do the noise where it detects floppy, so it's as if pc is juts running, this problem doing my head in now :/ but after 10 or so mins, pc's fine

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2003, 18:30 »
Could it be that the graphics card is not seated properly, but after a period of use, the heat expansion causes the contacts to connect better?  I know it would be an unlikely coincidence for it to happen with two gphx cards, but maybe there is dust in the slot, which is causing poor contact?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum