Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Images conversion  (Read 2919 times)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
Images conversion
« on: August 05, 2003, 13:57 »
Hi all,

Several times I was searching a way to convert images, keeping their original format or getting another.

What I mean hear is that: for instance, if I see a small image or photo on a certain page of intrnet, and that photo is small. I copy it and past it somewhere on my hard disk. that image keeps it's small size. now, If I like to zoom it to make it bigger, it's nettety becomes lighter.

What's the way, or what should be done to make it bigger and keeping the same nettety?

The other question is especially to Adept: What you are doing, or what's the procedure that allows you to convert an image, already JPG to make it so lighter size, to the point, less than three KB?

Thanks for any answer and to Adept.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Images conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 15:27 »
Salut Joudi,je ne compris pas le mot "NETTETY" ?

Which image program are you using?
I use Paint Shop Pro which has a lot of features,(half of which I dont understand how to use yet  ::) ),this programme allows you to enlarge,reduce or modify the original image and has a "JPG Optimiser" thing that will allow you to reduce the file size by reducing the quality of the original a little.
It has various settings that you can select to see which quality of the image is acceptable for the smaller file size  :-*

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 15:49 »
Thanks Sandra for correcting me again.

I thought that the word "Nettety" exist in english, because in french it is "Netteté". I'm not lucky this time in my english translation.

Well to correct my mistake, I can change that word into "Clarity" or "Cleanness". Or as last suggestion, english people must adopte my invented vocabulary, that will make the english easyer for me.  

N'est-ce pas?     ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 16:04 »
Perhaps it would translate more easily into NEAT or NEATNESS Joudi but clarity is more appropriate I think in this case.
In that case I think that you would find the programs such as Paint Shop Pro or Photo Shop would do what you want  :-*

Apologies for my limited vocabulary Joudi,I have just looked NETTETE up in my English to French dictionary and it says :
cleanness,cleanliness,distinctness,downrightness(this last word is one I have never heard used in english or one that I could think of anyone using  ::) ).
I think in this case,after seeing those translations,that you would be meaning DISTINCTNESS which would also mean SHARPNESS.
I hope that this hasnt confused you even more  :-*

Adept

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 18:33 »
Well I'm thoroughly confused now Sandra :) I hope you understood all of that Joudi ;)

Do I understand you correctly that you wish to take a small picture and make it larger, without losing Netteté?

This is not easily possible because the smaller picture has lost a lot of information  - as you enlarge the picture the more  pixelated or "blocky" it becomes.

There are programs which claim to be able to do this using fractal mathematics, but I don't know whether they really work  :-\

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 18:57 »
I hope that this hasnt confused you even more  

Sandra, I can say as a conclusion that the english language needs "NETTETY" to become more nett.   ;D

Adept, thank you for your answer. I just thought that, may be there is certain simple function in Windows XP or in another program to do it. I didn't imagine that it's complicated enough.

I thought that, because there are some sites which propose small images. (like background images). When you install them, they become big on your computer without losing their "NETTETE".  ;)   It seems then that they already prepared them for that.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 19:16 »
Maybe you are meaning "Thumbnails" Joudi ?
These are usually the smaller pictures on a webpage that are bigger when you save them.
I am not sure how much quality they lose by making the original picture into a thumbnail then converting it back to full size,maybe Adept will know about that :doggie:

Adept

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 20:56 »
There are two ways (that I know of) of making thumbnail pictures on a website.

The first uses the browser's ability to shrink a picture automatically. Say you have a 800x600 image, you might specifiy that, for the thumbnail image, it displays as 100x75 on the web page. When clicked the image links to the full size image. This has the disadvantage that it can take longer to download the thumbnail image as it is really the full size one!

The second method involves two copies of the image, a small thumbnail and a full-size image. When the thumbnail image is clicked it links to the full size image. The advantage of this is that the thumnail loads quickly and you only need to download the full size image if you click on it.

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 21:55 »
A little program that will generate smaller (or larger) images to create thumbnails can be found HERE. Originally posted by Lona (I think ::) )

Hope that helps

DJ1UK

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 22:14 »

A little program that will generate smaller (or larger) images to create thumbnails can be found HERE. Originally posted by Lona (I think ::) )

Hope that helps

DJ1UK

You've got a good memory,DJ :wave:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 22:17 »
:thanks:
Always give credit where credits due Lona - not very often on pc-pals  :P

:wave:

DJ1UK

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 22:20 »
Irfanview est un outil excellent pour regarder et convertir vos images.  Cela ne coûte rien et est très varié.

English translation:  The spoons have outgrown my grandfather's fishtank since the postman exploded.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2003, 22:24 »

English translation:  The spoons have outgrown my grandfather's fishtank since the postman exploded.

Did you have the same French teacher as me then Rodders  ;)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2003, 22:26 »

I think you'll find that's:

Les cuillères ont devenu trop grand pour le fishtank de mon grand-père depuis que le facteur a éclaté

:lol:  :P ;D
:banana::banana::banana:

DJ

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2003, 23:00 »
Cha mis les heures, mes braves!   ::)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum