Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Home page problem  (Read 4830 times)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Home page problem
« on: August 12, 2003, 23:13 »
Can't anyone help my bloke, his homepage keeps coming up with a pervy one (cough) - he's tried changing it in internet settings to a more homely one like msn but it keeps changing back to this pervy site

any idea's on how to change it permently?
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Re:Home page problem
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 23:17 »
Sounds like a virus or spyware is on your system.

Have you got a anti virus or spyware checker installed? If so run them and check.

If not have a look at the links on the pc-pals front page HERE!

DJ

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 23:24 »
Hiya Shell,

It sounds like your mate needs to d/l and install something like Spyware Blaster.  This will help them to avoid catching a nasty dose when visiting evil websites, while also going a long way to preventing future outbreaks.  Note that it should be updated as regularly as is necessary in order to keep pace with evil technology.

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 23:32 »
thanks chaps I'll see he gets some spyware or something  :)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 12:17 »
I meant spyware remover  :D

Not sure on what was the best so I've downloaded ad-aware for both of us.

Thanks again, bit thick on these things if you didn't notice  ;)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 18:37 »
Hi again, Michelle.

AdAware is pretty good.  The problem with these spyware removers is that each one gives you different results.  I used to run both AdAware and Spyblaster and one would find something that the other wouldn't.  If you're not careful, you can end up with so many of these programs that you find yourself doing nothing else but running the things!

Now I use AdAware and I also occasionally run an online spyware checker to pick up anything AdAware might have missed.  A good one can be found by clicking on the link below.

http://www.pestscan.com/

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 19:30 »
Ad Aware and Spyware Blaster are two different things.  Ad Aware removes spyware, and Spyware Blaster blocks it before it gets on to your computer.  Technically, if you are running Spyware Blaster, and keep it updated once a week, Ad Aware should rarely actually find anything.   :)

You may have been referring to SpyBot, Dave, which does do the same as Ad Aware, and I agree, they both find different things.   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 20:50 »
Thanks Simon.

My apologies, Michelle, I did mean Spybot.  As I said, there are so many of these things I can't remember one from the other.

I have the setup file for Spyblaster on my d drive, but have never bothered to set it up, because I have so many bits and pieces running in the system tray I won't have any taskbar if I put much more in there!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 20:58 »
Spyware Blaster actually runs silently, Dave.  It doesn't even show in your system tray.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 21:02 »

Spyware Blaster actually runs silently, Dave.  It doesn't even show in your system tray.  ;)

It doesn't?  That's interesting.   Do you know if it works with Opera, Simon, or is it only designed for use with Internet Explorer?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2003, 21:35 »
Oh Dave, why do you have to spoil things by asking something technical?!   ;)

Here's the FAQs from SB - this should explain it better than I could.   ;)

#1) What does SpywareBlaster do?

-Unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster doesn't scan for and clean spyware. Instead, SpywareBlaster provides protection against spyware ever installing and can also prevent spyware from running if it is already installed on your machine! SpywareBlaster can also protect against spyware/tracking cookies (this cookie protection function requires Internet Explorer 6 or above - the spyware protection mechanism even works on Windows machines without Internet Explorer).

#2) How does SpywareBlaster's protection work?

-SpywareBlaster works by settings "kill bits" in the registry. These "kill bit" registry entries are set for the spyware ActiveX CLSIDs (unqiue IDs that identify an ActiveX control). When a kill bit is set for a CLSID, the ActiveX control that uses that CLSID cannot install itself via your browser, nor can it run if it already installed. Microsoft sometimes uses these kill bits for fixing Active-X security holes.

#3) But what happens if I ever want to reverse or remove these kill bits?

-SpywareBlaster can do this for you. Simply uncheck every item that you wish to have the kill bit removed for, and press the "Remove Protection for Unchecked Items" button.

#4) How do I use SpywareBlaster?

-The easiest way of accomplishing this is to first Check for Updates (which are released frequently). After download all updates, press the "Select All" button on the SpywareBlaster main screen - this checks all items in the list to the right. Then, press the "Protect Against Checked Items!" button and your system will be protected against all spyware ActiveX controls in the SpywareBlaster definitions.

#5) Why are some items checked at the start of SpywareBlaster?

-Items that are already checked at the start of SpywareBlaster already have protection set for them.

#6) Why are some/many items marked in red?

-These items do not have protection set for them. If you would like to disable this highlighting feature, there is an option in the Settings menu to do so.

#7) I'm not sure if item "x" in the SpywareBlaster database is something I want to protect my system against. How do I get more information?

-All spyware items in the SpywareBlaster definitions are spyware or malicious ActiveX programs. However, there is a built-in information area in SpywareBlaster:

-On the SpywareBlaster main screen is a button entitled "More Information on Items". Pressing this button will take you to a location in the SpywareBlaster program where you can get information on the items in the SpywareBlaster definitions, plus you are provided with links where you can find more information online.

#8) What are those weird letters and numbers next to the spyware names in the list on the main screen?

-Those "weird letters and numbers" are actually the unique CLSIDs for spyware controls. Advanced users may find them very useful. If you find those letters and numbers distracting, you can disable the display of them in the SpywareBlaster settings area.

#9) I'm new to this "spyware" stuff. Where can I get more information?

-There are many places online that provide excellent information on spyware/adware. A short list of links to get you started is included below (copy and paste these links into your browser):
*Wilders.org --> http://www.wilders.org
*SpywareInfo --> http://www.spywareinfo.com
*Doxdesk.com --> http://www.doxdesk.com

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2003, 21:44 »
....the spyware protection mechanism even works on Windows machines without Internet Explorer).

Thanks again, Simon.  That is what I wanted to know.  I think I might set it up.  AdAware is a good program, but as you know I don't like intrusive and/or high maintenance programs  and it has already issued two updates TODAY!  If setting up Spyblaster means i can forget about updating and running AdAware, except for perhaps once a month, it will do for me. :)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2003, 22:50 »
Thanks alot everyone - now I'm really confused  :D

No really the ad-aware one worked really well, in the end I got rid of 183 files!!!

I downloaded the spywareblaster thingy and it installed okay but when I click on it to run it it comes up with a runtime 399 error I've downloaded it twice now once from simon and once from the site and it did the same thing?

Maybe its not compatable with what I have on my puter already?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2003, 23:04 »
Mmmm, can't help you with that, Michelle, but hopefully someome else can.   ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2003, 23:39 »
Did you install it with an AV program running Michelle ?
Try uninstalling it then reboot,dont connect to the net again and disable your AV program then see if it will install and run ok.
Dont forget to enable your AV program again before you connect to the net again :doggie:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum