Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: 1 port vs 4 port  (Read 1879 times)

Offline WhiteDevil

1 port vs 4 port
« on: August 28, 2003, 09:14 »
hiya,
ive just been looking at the ebuyer site and found a router, the next one up from what ive ordered, that has 4 ports instead of 1 (i ordered the 1 port one...)

Does anyone know what the difference is between them?

I hope i can get a quick reply to this because if its better to get the 4 port one i need to cancel my order, and ive read that ebuyer can be a pain in the a*** to get ahold of... (And yes i have been waiting 6 days for my order to be dispatched :tony:)
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:1 port vs 4 port
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 13:28 »
A one port router needs an additional hub to enable a network to be set up whereas a 4 port can connect up to 4 PCs to it without any additional hub/s Whitedevil :doggie:

Adept

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 13:48 »
If it is the one I'm thinking of WhiteDevil, I have one on order with Ebuyer right now and Sandra already has one.

Mine is supposed to be arriving tomorrow, but according to Ebuyer it hasn't been dispatched yet :o

Offline WhiteDevil

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 16:44 »
you're kidding? i dont want to have to spend more money to get this network up and running... I might just send an enote and have the order cancelled, or return it as soon as i get it for a refund...

my order was placed last Friday (for the 1 port one) but is still showing "Processing Order" - Its beginning to annoy me how long they take. Not a good first experience ordering online...

:'(

(I have this on order, think i may cancel it though: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=37452)

EDIT: Have just phoned ebuyer support. Took < 10 minutes to get through which im pleased with  ;D  Ive just got to re-place the order, with the correct router (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=37451) and no more problems  ::)
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 17:40 »
That looks a lot better deal as it saves you buying a hub and having 2 lumps of equipment cluttering your desktop.
I cant really see why anyone would want the one port one when its only £6 more for the 4 port as you wouldnt get a 4 port hub for that price :doggie:

Offline WhiteDevil

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 17:48 »
Good thing Robotochan directed me to these forums, what a bunch of knowledgable folk you are

:clever:
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 17:56 »
Well the advantage of a growing forum like ours WD is that no single person needs to have all the knowledge theirself and hopefully each of us has a little that can be passed on to help someone else who can then pass some of theirs on to help someone else again.
We are like a nicer version of the BORG and assimilate knowledge amongst our "collective" to help us to help the rest of the hive  ;D ;D ;D

Heres a pic of one of our founder members on his way to another hard days work :

Offline WhiteDevil

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 20:23 »
now is that pic of Adept or Clive?

:lol:
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 20:30 »