Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Networking Problems  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Thumbsup

Re:Networking Problems
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2003, 14:08 »
Hi Sandra. Certainly for the connection that has worked! I will recheck. But surely that wouldn't stop ping giving me a positive response ?

Andy

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2003, 14:24 »
Probably not Andy  ???
Another thing that may though would a firewall on the inaccessable PC which wasnt allowing the other to "see" it, so maybe you could temporarily disable it to make sure that its not blocking it.
Try this offline though to be safe  :)

Adept

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2003, 19:24 »
Andy, are you saying that the machine that does the dial-up cannot access the Internet? If so, that's a separate problem. You may need to have a look at the dial-up networking connector because there is probably something wrong there.

If you mean the other pc on the network cannot access the Internet, that is to do with the DNS and gateway information I had you remove before ::) Basically, the PC that is sharing the Internet connection to the network doesn't need any seetings in DNS and gateway. The othe PC's DNS and gateway should point to the IP address of the PC doing the sharing. I hope that's clear :-\ ;)

Offline Thumbsup

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2003, 07:46 »
Sean,

just to confirm, I took the DNS and Gateway values out from both machines, and now the machine that is doing the Internet dialup (W98 Desktop) cannot reach any sites, although it dials and connects correctly. Can you confirm what the DNS and Gateway values should be on this machine if the IP address: 169.254.108.191 is and the Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 ??

Thanks.

Offline Thumbsup

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2003, 07:52 »
Also, going back to reply #7 I do still have the problem where the W98 Desktop machine does not appear to have any 'Sharing' capabilities. I have clicked the boxes in Setup Networking, but for whatever resource, when I go to Properties for printers of files, there is no 'Sharing' tab, to allow me to authorise access.

As you suggested before I had already removed all of the Networking components and re-installed them together with the NIC driver.

Any thoughts ?

Andy

Adept

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2003, 13:50 »

just to confirm, I took the DNS and Gateway values out from both machines, and now the machine that is doing the Internet dialup (W98 Desktop) cannot reach any sites, although it dials and connects correctly. Can you confirm what the DNS and Gateway values should be on this machine if the IP address: 169.254.108.191 is and the Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 ??

The DNS and gateway settings will make no difference to whether a dial-up networking session works OK. It sounds like there is something else wrong, possibly with the DUN connector or maybe IE :-\ I don't have Win98 handy to check, but isn't there a Dial-up Networking bit that also goes in the network settings?

Also, going back to reply #7 I do still have the problem where the W98 Desktop machine does not appear to have any 'Sharing' capabilities. I have clicked the boxes in Setup Networking, but for whatever resource, when I go to Properties for printers of files, there is no 'Sharing' tab, to allow me to authorise access.

As you suggested before I had already removed all of the Networking components and re-installed them together with the NIC driver.

Did you reinstall "File and Printer Sharing" by clicking the button and ticking the "Share my files" and "Share my Printer" tickboxes?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2003, 14:07 »
Did you try disabling your firewalls Andy ?

Offline Thumbsup

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2003, 14:14 »
Hello there Sean,

Point 1 answer. Yes, there is a Dial Up Networking component installed, and it did work when I initially set up W98 anew 6 weeks or so ago, but has stopped since all of the changing of IP addresses, File Sharing etc. etc.

Point 2 answer. Yes, I did click the boxes off and then clicked them back on again. It probably asked for the W98 CD, but to be honest it has asked for it so many times recently I forget.

Andy

Offline Thumbsup

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2003, 14:29 »
Hi Sandra,

I don't have any firewalls (to my knowledge), but I did hear that XP has some Fw capability, so no, I have not disabled anything.

Andy

Offline WhiteDevil

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2003, 14:39 »
Its always worth a try:

Using Windows XP do the following -

1- Open the Control Panel
2- Click the Network Connections icon
3- Right click on one of the options (e.g. Local Area Connection 2)
4- Select "Properties" then go to the Advanced tab
5- Un-check the box there

Any more feedback and us techies will try to get the problem sorted  8)
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Offline Thumbsup

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2003, 10:14 »
Partial Good News Sandra and White Devil.

The firewall function in XP was activated, so when I deactivated it, the ping between all of the machines now works, and I am able to communicate between the two laptops (XP and NT). But the (newly installed) W98 desktop system still refuses to participate.

I have tested access to this machine via the old and original version of W98 and guess what, it works!

So, I do have a problem with my newly installed W98 system where I am unable to get any File or Printer Sharing capability or even access anything in the Network Neighbourhood as I always get a message box saying "Unable to Browse Network. The network is not accessible........ look in the Network Troubleshooter".

When I loaded the new version of W98, I did accept a very large download of Security patches and IE6 from Microsoft Update. I hope this didn't screw things up!

I have uninstalled the network components including File Sharing a number of times, and then reinstalled them.

Anyone got any thoughts ?

Andy

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2003, 15:11 »
I havent networked 98 to XP so I am not sure what could be the problem at the moment Andy but if you intend to install XP on your 98 desktop at a later date would it not be simpler to install XP now as that is more likely to work straight away with the other XP machines ?
Hopefully Adept will come up with something to allow the 98 PC to network if its essential that you keep 98 for now.

You shouldnt be running without a firewall Andy, now that we know it was stopping XP to XP if you go into the advanced tab where you disabled the firewall, re enable it and click on SETTINGS that brings up a list of programs that you can allow access through the firewall.
Click on ADD and add the IP addresses of the PCs that both your XP systems need to connect to  :)

Adept

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2003, 19:05 »
My normal solution for Win98 network faults is to delete the network adapter, reboot and let Windows re-install the default settings. Then I amend the settings to what I want them to be.

Since you've already done this a few times it's my guess it's not going to work this time :(

Sandra's idea about upgrading to XP sounds like a good one.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum