Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Web Browser THE BEST ?  (Read 88816 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Re:Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2003, 19:11 »
Look I'm sorry to go on about it, but the Mozilla web browser is absolutlley fabulous   :D

I have downloaded and been playing with the 'Mouse Gestures' what a boon they are. And 'Tabbed Browsing'.......well what can I say......it's fantastic.

Look all those who have not tried it yet, download it NOW, and don't worry, it will not interfere with your Microsoft Internet Explorer. I still use IE:6 for just one page [my Trading Platform] whilst I use Mozilla for all my other web browsing. And I know you should never say never, but I'll never go back to IE:6 for all my other Web Browsing.   ;D

And to think  after trying it for an hour, I nearly jacked it in because I had not learnt all the good bits, he he ........yes I feel smug, but so will you if you give it a real good try.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2003, 19:30 »
In case you can't be arsed to go back to find the download link, here it is again!

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2003, 19:31 »

Look I'm sorry to go on about it, but the Mozilla web browser is absolutlley fabulous   :D

You'll be telling us next you've gone bald and started to drive a taxi :o

:lol:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2003, 19:40 »
:chubby:     ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2003, 00:18 »

You'll be telling us next you've gone bald and started to drive a taxi :o

That's not "fare" I reckon your just trying to get Simon "started"  ;D

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2003, 08:04 »
I keep hearing voices in my head everyday ... try mozilla .......... try mozilla .......... try mozilla ...........

Its quite worrying :lol:
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2003, 09:43 »
It's fate, Michelle.  You just have to  :gofor:  to satisfy the urge!   ;D ;D  

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2003, 12:04 »
Come on Mich, its easy peezzy, and you'll love it, honest. I would not have thought you would have been to timid to experiment   ::) ;D

Lona, how are you doing with it, have you got it sussed yet , imported and re aranged  your IE: Favourites, Personal Toolbar setup, which tied in with Tab browsing is great. If you have'nt dowloaded the little "Mouse Gestures" program, do it know, you'll love it honest.  :)

By the way Lona, I like your new Photo, is it your Sister  ;D ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2003, 13:09 »
Camstop and White Devil were also dabbling with Mozilla - how you doing guys?  As Tony says, it doesn't pay to give up at the first hurdle.  Give yourself time to get used to it, and find all the handy little tools, many of which have been mentioned in this thread.  You really will find that Mozilla dazzlingly outshines IE in virtually every aspect.

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2003, 13:57 »
Which urge is that?  oooh that one.  ;)

I've heard the voices three times today - if I downloaded it I wonder if they will stop!  :P

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2003, 15:53 »
Guess what it says at the top of this page

Mozilla  ;D

Edit - due to stupidity

;D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2003, 16:59 »
My report on Mozilla is mixed. First, the good points..... It's much faster than IE, it does have a lot of fancy bits, like choosing your own search engine and different skins. Haven't tried the "Mouse Gestures" yet.
The drawbacks..........Some sites you cannot access without adding a plug-in and some sites you just can't access at all. Another annoying habit Mozilla has.....it has changed all my icons on some of my files with that annoying little red face it has.
I have tired uninstalling it and it says the uninstall file is missing. Half of it is gone and the other half is in explorer under program files. I was wondering if I should re-install it on top of itself to see if that helps.
I really don't think the benefits outweight the drawbacks for me but then the way this PC is acting up at the moment who knows. :-\

By the way Lona, I like your new Photo, is it your Sister    

Is that supposed to be a compliment Tony. :D ::)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2003, 18:01 »
I'm going to do a Joudi, and take things bit by bit, Lona.   ;D ;D
Some sites you cannot access without adding a plug-in and some sites you just can't access at all.

OK, some sites, such as PC Pals need a Flash plug in.  It tells you where to get it, and once you've got it, you won't need to get it again.  The only other plug in I can imagine you may require is Java, which you should already have, but if not, again, it's easily downloadable, and you only need to do it once.

There are a small handful of sites which will not work with Mozilla, as the developers of those sites have designed them rigidly for IE.  This is not really a fault in Mozilla, but I agree it can be a little inconvenient.  All it means is that when you want to access those sites, you have to use IE, but that doesn't stop you using Moz as your default browser.
Another annoying habit Mozilla has.....it has changed all my icons on some of my files with that annoying little red face it has.

This just means that by default, Mozilla will open the file.  If you want to change it, just right click the file, select 'Open with...', then 'Choose Program'.  You can then select the program you want to open that file with, and if you tick the box, it will open all files of that type with your chosen program in future.
I have tired uninstalling it and it says the uninstall file is missing. Half of it is gone and the other half is in explorer under program files. I was wondering if I should re-install it on top of itself to see if that helps.

If you really want to uninstall the best browser available   ::) ;)  and it is saying files are missing, then yes, I would re-install it on top, then uninstall it using Add / Remove Programs.  It takes a couple of minutes to uninstall, and sometimes the little box which asks you to confirm you want to remove it gets hidden under other windows, for some reason, which is why you may have disrupted the uninstall process before.  If you are going to uninstall it, also delete the Mozilla.org file in C:\Program Files.

I hope the above may be of some use, and may tempt you to give it another chance, Lona!     :)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2003, 18:45 »
Well I was just about to say I've been surfing for 3 hours and I've found it lovely no problems at all. Probably not using all of its functions yet but still   I like it ................

When - it all went pairshaped, first the screen only showed a small portion in the window and it repeated this all the way down the page.  Then it came back and the writing all went different shapes and sizes. Then I had a look and it said it wasn't responding, and I tried to end task and everything crashed - I lost use of my mouse, then some bits came back and I managed to close it.  And then it was fine, I got cut off and reconnected and here I am :lol:

Dunno if that was my puter but it seemed to start with mozilla.

I'm not giving up yet though  :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2003, 19:14 »
You did get version 1.4 Michelle, yes?  Anything newer than that is still in testing stages, and liable to crashes.  Sounds like a bit of a temporary glitch, but I have to say, that has never happened to me.  Perhaps it was something else sent it haywire?  No reason why not to, but did you also happen to have an IE window open at the time?  What I would try is, if you can remember it, go back to the website you were on when it crashed, and see if it happens again.

Have you changed to the 'Modern' skin yet?  Looks much better when you do, and try the tabbed browsing - a lot of people find that really useful.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum