Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Has my PC been infected.  (Read 4243 times)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
Re:Has my PC been infected.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2003, 21:36 »
Hi Tony,

Sorry if I misunderstand what you are asking for, but I like to help if I can.

I have not enabled filesharing, and I have Windows XP. "Files Sharing" has the sign "+" beside it, and when I click on + it opens three files inside it, (I'll translate from french)they are:

- Shared
- Sessions
- Open Files

Only the first one has something in it. It has a file in form of a drive called "IPC$" which shows nothing when I click on. It's described as following:

Sharing File:  IPC$
Type:    Windows
Nb. of client connections:   0
Comments:   IPC distant

Sorry, I'm not sure that that will help, but I tried to answer your need as I could understand it. Hope it helps.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2003, 21:48 »
That was very helpful joudi, as I have three files in mine thank you.

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2003, 22:00 »
This is mine, Tony, and I have never enabled File Sharing to my knowledge.  I think this is the same as Joudi has.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2003, 23:26 »
Cheers Simon,

Well then, I like joudi and Simon have not enabled "File Sharing" yet my corrosponding file looks like this. It would appear as if my PC is compromised, so that's it, I'm reformating and doing a clean install.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2003, 18:43 »
Hey Simon,

My replacement standby HDD [40GB Samsung with a 3 year warranty] arrive this morning sometime between 7.30 and 8.00am. Not really sure exactly as it, along with my ADSL modem   ;D was on the kitchen work top when I got up, [I have decided to go with either NDO or PlusNet for my broadband]  By the way they were ordered Monday afternoon from your mates at CCL
 ;D

Anyway, as soon as I installed W2K on the new drive, I looked in shared files, and bugger me, it showed the same file arrangement as I have on my existing drive!!!! So I have fully loaded it,and created a back up partition where I saved imaged file of the new set up.

And even though I could find nothing in the way of worms or viruses on my exsisting drive, I copied an image of the new drive over on to my existing drive, so they are both nice and new. Mind you I'm going onto that "Sheilds Up" site to find out how to disable the shared file option, like Chorley Dave has done, just to be on the safe side.

Plus I'm going to start using Mozilla email in stead of Outlook,lets see it start up incognetoe now ;D  so I best go and down load the "spellchecker" I suppose  ::)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2003, 20:28 »
You'll need the UK English plug in as well, Tony, or the spell checker will default to US spellings.  You can get the UK dictionary here.

As for CCL   ::)  I thought I'd give them another chance, as they were still the cheapest, so I ordered a case (the one you recommended they don't do anymore), a Maxtor 40gb HDD, and a cheap Floppy Disc Drive.  Delivery arrived within two days, but they had sent a monitor, yes, a 15" monitor instead of the case!

I contemplated keeping it out of spite, and trying to flog it on, but my conscience got the better of me, so I rang them, and spoke to a really helpful lady who had just spoken to another person asking where his monitor was!  Anyway, they swapped it the next day, and I got a better case than I ordered, so they have redeemed themselves to some extent.

Tip for MozMail: If you want the same colour background as we both had in Outlook, you need to type about:config in the browser address bar, then scroll down to msgcompose.background_color and change the value to #ffffee.  You have to do it that way, because although you can select default fonts and background in Edit > Preferences > Mail & Newsgroups > Composition, that particular colour is not one of the ones available to set as default by that method, so you have to go in the back door.   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2003, 23:20 »
Cheers Simon,

Don't you have some fun on the ordering and delivering front  ;D,

I've PM'd you mate, regards Moz mail.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum