Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Noise problem  (Read 930 times)

Offline Titanhenry

Noise problem
« on: October 24, 2003, 13:12 »
Im having a problem with a part of my computer it seems to be making noises like clicking noises and sometimes when im playing a video my computer freezes for a few seconds then gos back to normal. Recently i got a message up

windows was unable to save all data for the file device\harddisk\volume1\etc the data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your comp hardware.

I think it could be my hardrive but was just wandering what yous think and ive it is my hardrive does it just need formatted or is it damaged and if i need to get a new one

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Noise problem
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 13:19 »
I sounds like it may be a bad sector on your hard drive  :(
Have you tried running a scan disk or something like Nortons Disk Doctor ?

Offline Titanhenry

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 13:22 »
ive got norton antivirus2003 proffesional edition is there anything i can use there and is ther anything on my os ive got win 2000

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2003, 13:28 »
As far as I know 2000 should have an error checking feature the same as XP has.
If you go to your hard drive from My Computer and right click and select Properties then Tools there is an option available for Error Checking  :)

Norton AV doesnt have it, its part of Norton Utilities or Norton System Works  :(

Offline Titanhenry

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2003, 13:32 »
it says windows was unable to complete the disc check
is there any way to do it in dos?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2003, 13:37 »
I think so if you boot into DOS with a floppy and type SCANDISK that should do it I think  :)
Although if it said it couldnt complete it in windows its probably sticking at the bad part of the drive and you may find that DOS does the same  :(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2003, 13:40 »
If you havent backed up any important stuff already I would do so NOW just to be on the safe side  :)

Adept

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2003, 10:06 »
This may help:-

Click Start | Run
type cmd and press ENTER
At the command prompt type chkdsk c: /f and press ENTER

Code: [Select]
<br />The type of the file system is NTFS.<br /><br />Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another<br />process.  Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.<br />ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.<br />Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)<br />
Type N
Code: [Select]
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another<br />process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be<br />checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y

When you reboot your PC, scandisk (chkdsk) will run before Windows boots :)

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 11:12 »
^ yup that should do it.

If scandisk fixes issues and says that everything should be alright, but you continue to hear thos &quot;clicks&quot; then there is still a problem I would say.

Identify the manufacturer of the hard drive, go to their website and download the diagnostic tools for that drive. Check the disk using this tool (usually creats a bootable floppy).

If you get an error code back, thats bad news. Get a new hard drive NOW and copy data. Check that your old drive is under warranty.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum