Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: search engine  (Read 2371 times)

Offline twiggy

search engine
« on: October 17, 2003, 16:07 »
Hi all, I wont to start my own search engine. I just need some help getting started. Is there any software out there that can pritty much build one for you? I would prefere a yahoo stly aproch but a google type wouldnt bother me. Any help you can give me at all please do.

Thanks Mark

Offline twiggy

Re:search engine
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 16:30 »
OK then well any other website where i could find the info? plz ;)

Thanks Mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 16:38 »
I have just been told that you need to look for Active Server Pages.
If you can learn how to use them then you can make a search engine apparently Mark.
Its some kind of HTML scripting I believe  :)

Adept

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 16:43 »
Sorry Mark, I wouldn't know where to start on this.

All of the big search engines developed their own search engine software or bought it from someone else (Google, Altavista, Fast etc.) I haven't seen any open source search engine software, but then I haven't been looking either.

A small but important point: you are going to need a mighty computer system to properly index even a fraction of the internet. At the time of writing Google searches 3,307,998,701 web pages. They say that 3 billion web pages translates to approximately 3 trillion words, which is a lot of hard drive space! ;)

Offline twiggy

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 16:58 »
Ok here's the plan, i dont mean a search like the scale of google just a search that looks at one thing e.g computers or shops or something. So the idea is to have a dictonary stlye layout with certian catorgies and add sites with a short decription. Then use a search field on a page os users can search the dictonary pages to find what they wont.

Any feedback?

Mark Twigg

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 16:59 »
Youre right Adept there is a lot of stuff  out there on the www  :o
I havent even managed to scratch the surface yet with my bid for world domination and control of every program ever made.
Today Pc-Pals, tomorrow the world  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 17:05 »
Can you not do that on a webpage and just put a TOC or an index linking to the parts that you want to link to the sites with  ???

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum