Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Another Grrr - at Pipex!  (Read 4319 times)

Offline DropShadow

Another Grrr - at Pipex!
« on: November 05, 2003, 02:34 »
Hi. First post here. I can't believe I haven't joined sooner, as I recognise a couple of the names from ISPreview, and I've heard tell of the existence of this forum.......

Things were probably going too well. Hmmmm. Anyway - who else has an ADSL connection with Pipex .... and is anyone else experiencing unusual disconnections?

A post in their website, dated the 3rd, talks about work being carried out, but these drops started occuring a couple of days before that, and are STILL occuring.

No hardware/software changes my end.

Had about half-a-dozen drops since 6 pm-ish : more than ALL the time I've been with them since March!

Anyone else?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Another Grrr - at Pipex!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 06:50 »
:welcome:  DropShadow!  This is a far madder forum than ISPR.  ;D  There are a number of ADSL Pipex users here and I'm sure you will hear from them very soon.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 08:12 »
Hi DropShadow, and  

I've been with Pipex for over a year now, and apart from the odd bit of downtime, I have had no problems.  Certainly not had the random disconnection problems you have been suffering.

According to their Service Status page, the only work they are currently doing is on the Dial Time (56K) service, which obviously wouldn't affect you.

My suggestion would be to e-mail them at support@dsl.pipex.net.  Their support service has improved recently, and you should get a reply within a day or two.  Further to that, if the problem continues, it might be worth contacting BT to do a check on your line.

I assume you have checked all the usual things on your PC, and made sure nothing is set to auto-disconnect, and checked your phone socket connections?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 09:38 »
Hi and  :welcome: Dropshadow.  :)

You'll soon realize that you have just joined the best and most friendliest forum on the net.. ;D

Just watch out for the Blondie ones.They can be twubble.. ;D ;) :o :P

You have a pm by the way... :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 09:57 »
Just another thought, DropShadow, but what modem did they give you?  I recently had a problem with my Fujitsu FDX310, and Pipex advised me to update my VIA chip drivers, which has fixed the problem.  The trouble with mine was the modem failing to restart after a PC reboot, which I know is a different problem to yours, but I'm sure I've read somewhere about dropped connection problems with that modem.  Unfortunately I haven't time to look now, as I have to go to work.   :(

Hope you get it sorted.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline DropShadow

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 10:29 »

Hi DropShadow, and  

I've been with Pipex for over a year now, and apart from the odd bit of downtime, I have had no problems.  Certainly not had the random disconnection problems you have been suffering.

According to their Service Status page, the only work they are currently doing is on the Dial Time (56K) service, which obviously wouldn't affect you.

My suggestion would be to e-mail them at support@dsl.pipex.net.  Their support service has improved recently, and you should get a reply within a day or two.  Further to that, if the problem continues, it might be worth contacting BT to do a check on your line.

I assume you have checked all the usual things on your PC, and made sure nothing is set to auto-disconnect, and checked your phone socket connections?

Yep; everything's checked.

Hasn't happened now for quite a while, so I'll give it all a good run from this afternoon, and get back to you.

Strange that someone else on ISPreview was experiencing the same phenomena .... and, though theu were doing work on their dial-up network, it happened at THAT time....

We'll see how it goes. Apart from the last few days, I've NEVER experienced any other probs with them!

Offline DropShadow

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 10:33 »

Just another thought, DropShadow, but what modem did they give you?  I recently had a problem with my Fujitsu FDX310, and Pipex advised me to update my VIA chip drivers, which has fixed the problem.  The trouble with mine was the modem failing to restart after a PC reboot, which I know is a different problem to yours, but I'm sure I've read somewhere about dropped connection problems with that modem.  Unfortunately I haven't time to look now, as I have to go to work.   :(

Hope you get it sorted.   :)

Alcatel Speedtouch - which, I have to say, has been brilliant since I got it in March.

It even survived lightning damage in April, which took out my old PC - motherboard; both CD drives; memory; hard-disk. Oh - the monitor was OK as well.

Still; could have been worse. Heh.

It's been OK for a while now - see my last reply.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 10:39 »
I lost my phone line in that storm... :o...It was a devastating few days before they fixed it.. ::)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 12:12 »
Glad it seems OK now.   :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 13:14 »
Maybe its because I am using a router (I probably shoudnt say this now as I will be tempting fate  ::) ) but since I fitted a new hard drive last Thursday mine has been permanently downloading and uploading and has never dropped its connection once.
I used to get the Fujitsu modem dropping off occassionally overnight so I expect that any disconnetions are caused by your modem/PC rather than Pipex  :)

Offline DropShadow

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 19:10 »
Right - just logged-in today just after 6 pm, and I got another disconnect, though authentication seems to have stopped taking ages.

Also just found some more info on the Pipex site :

"Announcement Updated 05/11/03 at 14:45

Report:  A small number of our PIPEX Xtreme ADSL customers using network logins ending in @xtreme2.pipex.net or @xtreme3.pipex.net may be experiencing connection difficulties.

Symptoms:  Your computer/router may take rather longer than usual to connect to the Internet and may occasionally produce connection failures.

Actions:  This issue is under investigation as a top priority by the PIPEX Network Engineering team. It was escalated to BT for investigation on Tuesday afternoon and, as an additional measure, the manufacturers of our network equipment have also been involved in the investigation."

----------

So it's not just me, after all, though it's good to see that no-one else, here, is experiencing it.

Someone's just told me, on ISPreview, that the problems are being reported on the ADSLguide Pipex forum, which I'll have a look at in a moment.

I'm sure it'll be sorted soon.

I'll keep you posted!

Offline DropShadow

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 19:17 »

I lost my phone line in that storm... :o...It was a devastating few days before they fixed it.. ::)

Yeah .... it was a VERY strange experience, that. I'd lost a telephone, before, in a lightning storm, but nothing like this.

I was p2p'ing, at the time; the lights in the room dimmed, and the monitor went dark.

Quick as a flash, I disconnected from the mains; waited a couple of minutes; then plugged-in again ...... something 'popped' inside the PC, and there was a 'orrible smell of burning electrics. I unplugged again, and swore mightily.

EVERYTHING was frazzled, except the monitor, the modem, and the BT circuitry. I'd only had ADSL for a month, too!

As you can imagine, when I got a new system, I also invested in an 'anti-surge' block.

THOROUGHLLY recommended!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 20:29 »
What a disaster, DS!  :o  Going back to Pipex, I had trouble connecting myself earlier this evening.  I was getting the Invalid User Name / Password thing, yet my login is simply @xtreme.pipex.net, without the 2 or the 3, so the problem must be more global than they stated on the service status announcement.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 21:24 »
Mines never falterd since last Thursday, maybe its the newer Pipex customers that they gave the 2 or 3 login to that are having the main problem for some reason.
I dont know why that should be so though  ???

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 01:30 »
Welcome to Pc-Pals, Dropshadow. :D. I think I remember you from Firenet Forums. If you remember I got thrown off ISpr for slagging them off.  ;D ;D ;D ;)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum