Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: DVD Burner  (Read 9262 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:DVD Burner
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2003, 08:11 »
How stupid is this?  I got my new Sony DWU-14A DVD+/-RW drive, went to install it, and found that the corner of the motherboard is in the way of the third external drive bay!  This means that I can only have two drives (without getting a new case), so I have had to replace my perfectly working CD-RW, with the new drive.  :tony:

Haven't actually tried it yet, but a program like DVD X Copy Express looks like it might be useful for backing up material you specifically own (i.e. home movies).  Of course, we can't promote illegal copying of DVD Films (or anything else) here, so what anyone might use that program for is in no way endorsed, or associated with PC Pals Forum.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2003, 10:43 »
Just purchased this one..with the 25 discs as well?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?
action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=49638

Will let you know what I think later on in the week  8)

Hookstar

Link shrunk to fit   ;)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2003, 10:59 »
Hope you didn't buy the Mirror discs........They are not exactly the best quality. BTW it was about £1 cheaper at SVP/Blankdiscshop/121cdr :)

Writer is pretty good but had issues with fast extraction IIRC - think that modded firmware is available at www.rpc1.org
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2003, 11:08 »

Hope you didn't buy the Mirror discs........They are not exactly the best quality. BTW it was about £1 cheaper at SVP/Blankdiscshop/121cdr :)

Yep bought the mirror discs, to start with? ok to trial the new dvd with and what's £1 over £100 1% :P

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2003, 12:38 »
An example of the 'quality' of Mirror discs.

Friend of mine was going to send some data to me this week - had 4 attempts at writing on Mirror discs (at 4x, 2x, 1x and another 1x). None of them worked.

They tend to use the Princo dye if I'm not mistaken which is a bit  :vomit: (in that they are not as compatible with DVD drives, nor-as reliable to write to as the Ritek dye).

He's since gone and bought some Maxell discs from Staples (25 pack is about £21) which are the Ritek G04 dye as a stopgap before buying some from SVP.

Just say this as it won't be a good trial of your drive if the media is no-good.

And £1 of £85 is more like 1.2% ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2003, 17:57 »
I bought a pack of 25 Datawrite, from Watford Electronics, for just under £20.  I screwed one up myself, but other than that, no problems yet.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2003, 18:56 »

And £1 of £85 is more like 1.2% ;)

Pedant! ::) ;D :lol:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2003, 21:31 »
Shipping Band: £4.49
Approx Cart Weight: 1.55Kg
 Shipping Surcharge: £0.00
SubTotal:  £90.29
VAT:  £15.81
Total:  £106.10

probably a bit conservitive with my £100.. :-\  less than 1%

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2003, 21:39 »
Not really as SVP just had a 99p shipping weekend :)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2003, 21:48 »
Being the Impatiant sod that I am.....wanted it yesterday  ;D

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2003, 23:10 »

Being the Impatiant sod that I am.....wanted it yesterday  ;D

I'm a bit like that too  :P
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2003, 18:17 »
Ok..everything set up now?

BUT..

Top Drawer is the DVD/CD Rom
Next DVD RW
Then at the bottom is the CD RW.

The reason I want to keep them all in is that the CD RW records at 40x and the DVD/RW records at 16X so you see thats why I want to keep all of them in.

BUT.. although the start up screen reconises they are all there, the CD RW doesnt work :(

Has anybody any Ideas, racking the grey matter a bit here.

Cheers Hook

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2003, 18:46 »
I assume that the jumpers are set correctly for master/slave on each one ?
Does it list them all in the Device manager, without any yellow ? or ! ?

Adept

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2003, 20:17 »
I have seen some odd things happen with CD-ROMs and CD-Writers on the same IDE channel. It sounds as if there might nbe one of these odd conflicts occurring.

Have you tried swapping the order at all?

Also do you really need the DVD/CD-ROM? The Writers are probably fast enough for reading aren't they?

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2003, 20:19 »
Define "Not work" :)

I assume the Bios sees all the drives. (Which would mean power and jumper settings were correct).

Does Windows see all the drives?
Can you just not write (which can be down to the writing software). Or can you not read either?

Have you moved one of the drives over to the Primary IDE from the secondary IDE (in which case it could be a motherboard driver issue).

Simplest way to see if the device is correctly detected is to do the usual (windows Key) and (break) combination to get the system info, then Hardware and Device manager (as Sandra suggested). Have a look under IDE controllers and then at the properties on the Primary and Secondary IDE channels to see if the advanced settings have a difference in DMA modes.

I'd hazzard a guess that you'e got a UDMA66 cable on your hard drive which is now connected to one of the other devices that doesn't support UDMA66 - this causes all sorts of strange problems w.r.t. detection issues.

Solution is either drop back to 33 cable (and slow your hard drive down) or learn to love writing at 16x :) Changing the settings in the advanced settings mentioned may allow you to do a correct detect.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum