Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: eBaying question  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
eBaying question
« on: November 15, 2003, 11:18 »
This could be one for an experienced eBayer - I'm currently bidding for an item, but it's my first time, so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing.  To buy the item in a store would have been about £200 (they don't make this model anymore), and currently the bidding stands at £41, with me as the highest bidder.  The item is 'as new'.  I have set a maximum bid of £75, so my bid will automatically be upped if outbid, up to the maximum amount.  Should the maximum amount be outbid, I will get an e-mail telling me.  How am I doing so far?

My question is this - the auction doesn't closes for another 3 days, so is there likely to be a sudden influx of bids at the last minute?  Also, how do I know is the seller has put a reserve on the item?  There nothing in the details to suggest this, but I have seen other items with "reserve met" next to the current bid.

I am also considering contacting the seller to make him a "buy here and now" offer, rather than waiting to the end of the auction.  Is this "the done thing", and is it generally a good idea, or should I wait?

Thanks for any help.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
Re:eBaying question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 11:37 »
From what I can remember if the item is bidded on in the last minute the auction gets continued for another hour or something. If your outbidded you will get an E-mail but E-mails from Ebay to me have been very sluggish recently, I got an E-mail 1 1/2 weeks after I bought an item saying the aution had ended and I won  ::)
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 11:40 »
That would be a breach of Ebays terms and conditions and a definate No-no. (Think it comes under fee avoidance as he would have to cancel the auction and then Ebay wouldn't get their final value fee).

I never finish auctions early as you never know how much it's likely to go for.

A lot of buyers use whats called 'bid snipe' software which allows you to bid in the last few minutes of the auction. Just google to find one that tickles your fancy.

There is no reserve on the item unless there is a message at the top under the bid saying "Reserve met" or "Reserve Not met".

My advice? Bid what you think it's worth and make that your final bid. That way you either get the item for less than the max you wanted to pay or someone was willing to pay more.

With Ebay there's usually another one along in a few days.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 11:42 »
I tend to wait until the last few seconds of an auction.  It's a tactic known as 'sniping'.  Synchronise your Windows clock to eBay's time and then 30 seconds before the auction closes, whack in your maximum bid.  Also bear in mind any P&P charges on the final amount.

Doing it this way ensures that you don't inflate the bidding at an early stage of the game.

You could make the seller an offer, but it isn't really fair on other bidders to have the auction finish early.  Besides it might save embarrassment should he tell you to sod off.

Note that you'll be faced with a confirmation page once you type in the amount and click on 'Bid', so don't get caught napping by slow page-load.  Go through the bid procedure a minute beforehand, then just click 'Confirm' with 20-30 seconds to go.

Be lucky, Simon!   ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 11:58 »
Yes, there is something called Auction Tamer, which I heard about 'elsewhere'.  I might have a look at that, or see what alternatives there are.  

I think I'll probably try Rodders suggestion and sit on the PC at the last minute.

3 more questions:  

1. If the bidding doesn't reach anywhere near the sellers expectations, and he hasn't set a reserve, can he refuse to sell the item after the bidding has finished?

2. If I am still the highest bidder at the last seconds, is it worth 'sniping myself', by an extra quid, just to make sure someone else doesn't do the same?

3. I have heard some people say they would not trade with someone with no previous feedback reports.  Is that common practise, and if so, how does a new trader get off the ground?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 12:03 »
3. Some people just don't trust others. It saves time and money from Time-wasters. At least when thy have feedback you know more about them. Some people do trust others, it's just a personal preference.
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 12:05 »
1.  Nope

2.  Nope

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 12:12 »
OK, thanks guys.   :)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 12:14 »
To make sure that the seller knows you are a real bidder it's sometimes worthwhile sending them an email just to put their mind at ease.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2003, 13:54 »
Its not all that easy then is it  ???
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2003, 18:39 »
Well, I'll let you know.  If I win, it will be brilliant, if I don't, it will be crap!   ;D

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 17:27 »
Am I to assume you didn't win then simon?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 18:00 »
Yes!  I did actually win it!  ;D ;D  I've paid with PayPal, but the guy says he won't be able to ship it until the weekend, which I thought was a bit slow of him.  I assume payments by PayPal are immediate, so that should not be a reason for any delay.  I'll see how long the item takes to arrive, before I think about what to put in his feedback profile.

By the way, in case anyone is interested, the item I won is a top of the range Video Recorder, which was selling new in the shops for about £250.  They have just gone out of production, but this one is apparently unused, and still in it's original packaging, and I got it for £71 plus £10 shipping.

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 18:06 »
Oh thats wicked Simon, well done  ;)  ;D

Do you want my address to send my xmas pressy to??  8)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 18:30 »
I'm just considering plucking up the courage to try to sell something, but maybe this isn't really the best time of year to start.  That, however, is a feeble excuse to mask my trepidation!   ;) ;D ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum