Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: MailWasher  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
MailWasher
« on: November 21, 2003, 16:04 »
Yesterday, I tried to check my e-mails using MailWasher as usual but it refused to work.  All I could get was "connection closed gracefully."  That has happened a few times before but after a few minutes (or maybe a re-boot) everything has been fine again.  After trying unsuccessfully for most of the day, I eventually gave up and allowed Outlook Express to retrieve my mail without MailWasher first taking a snoop.

In fact, there was just one e-mail, but of course it was spam.  I immediately tried MailWasher again, and this time it worked straight away, showing that there was no more mail waiting to be downloaded.

Today, I have been absolutely deluged with spam -probably in excess of 100 so far and counting.  I'm wondering if someone has found a way of disabling MailWasher thereby forcing you to download their spam to verify that the e-mail address is valid.  

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:MailWasher
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 16:09 »
As I understand it, mailwasher opens the mail on its own server, when you preview it, so it may have just been the server having problems for a short time.
Then after it sorted itself out it worked again  :)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 16:11 »
I note they've been having some unspecified server problems lately, Clive.  You should have had an email about it a couple of days ago, from Firetrust, which blames their hosting company.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 16:12 »
Well if that's the case I'm very relieved!   ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 16:29 »

You should have had an email about it a couple of days ago, from Firetrust, which blames their hosting company.

I think I let mail washer dump mine as I didnt recognise the sender  ;)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 16:42 »
Ermm...  This is all very embarrassing, but on digging out that email I found that it was actually from MSGTAG Status - an affiliated product.  Sorry for any contusions!   ::)

(With apologies to Firetrust)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 18:13 »
Talking of Mailwasher and Firetrust, I have today received my serial number and password for the free trial of First Alert, which is up and running.  Hopefully I will soon be rid of all this crap I'm getting from '@Yahoo' addresses at the moment.  I also had two of those "Download this sercurity patch NOW!!" things which are NOT from Microsoft.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 18:44 »
Mine was probably flagged "origin blacklisted".
 ;D

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2003, 22:38 »
As well as Mailwasher, I would recommend E-Prompter

http://www.eprompter.com

It runs in the system tray, uses hardly any resources, will check ALL mail (including Hotmail) up to sixteen addresses, and allows you to delete the mail on the server.  In addition, it has a built-in smtp server, which is useful in  an emergency when  your own ISP's server is down.

Remember to tick the box "Read Mail Headers Only" when setting up the account.

Adept

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2003, 09:01 »
And I recommend SpamPal (especially with the Bayesian Filter plugin installed.

It sits in the system tray and works transparently, so once setup all you have to do is press send and receive in your email program.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum