Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: slow internet  (Read 3168 times)

Offline adamdaly

• http://www.btinternet.com/~adamdaly
slow internet
« on: December 07, 2003, 03:00 »
i've been suffering a slow connection for some time. i find that i sent a MB than i receive, like right now i got 1.5MB while i sent 10MB. any ideas what is causing this. i phone a helpdesk and they told me to reinstall windows, but this is a brand new comp. also when i check the windows task manager the svchost.exe is on it 4 times ans uses up a lot of ram. is this normal. i have run spybot and deleted all files that it says could cause my problem.

any ideas

adamdaly
f i can't be a good example, i'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:slow internet
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 09:46 »
Hi Adam,

I'm sure someone will be able to help you with this, but can you just confirm, is this 56K dial up, or broadband we're talking about?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline adamdaly

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 16:02 »
its a 56k dial up.

adamdaly

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 17:13 »
Sorry Adam, but I'm a bit confused, especially by this part:
i find that i sent a MB than i receive, like right now i got 1.5MB while i sent 10MB.

Are you saying you tried to send something of 10Mb over 56K?   :o
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 17:15 »

i've been suffering a slow connection for some time. i find that i sent a MB than i receive, like right now i got 1.5MB while i sent 10MB. any ideas what is causing this. i phone a helpdesk and they told me to reinstall windows, but this is a brand new comp.

So what you are saying is that you can upload files quicker than you can download? ??? Sorry I'm not clear what you mean. Telling you to re-install Windows is a standard helpdesk trick to get you off their back when they don't have a solution for you ;)

also when i check the windows task manager the svchost.exe is on it 4 times ans uses up a lot of ram. is this normal. i have run spybot and deleted all files that it says could cause my problem.

svchost is a process which allows dll files to be executed. It is perfectly normal to have more than one svchost process at a time :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 17:17 »
Is this an e mail attachmnet or just what the current modem log is showing has been transmitted/received  ???

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 17:28 »
Adamdaly can you bring up a box like the picture below.

Offline adamdaly

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 17:30 »
sorry, what i mean is that over the course of an internet session my computer logs that i have received 1.5MB whereas i have set 10mb. looking at the small icon on the bottom right, there seems to be a constantly out going info, but i don't know from what source.

adamdaly

Adept

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 17:36 »
Do you have firewall software installed Adam?

If so, perhaps you could remove everything from the list of programs allowed to connect to the Internet. You can then re-enable them one at a time as they ask for access. It may help you track down which program causes a surge in activity.

Offline adamdaly

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 17:44 »
yup its firewalled but i can't find any way of changing its properties.

Adept

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2003, 17:52 »
Do you know which firewall software you use? And while you are at it could you tell us a bit about your PC? Operating System, Memory, processor etc. :)

Offline adamdaly

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2003, 18:00 »
i'm using XP home edition, the computer has 512MB RAM and has a P4 2.8 Processor. Don't know about the firewall software. it just says that it is firewalled beside the icon in the network connections  window.

adamdaly

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2003, 18:13 »
Right click the properties and select About and that should tell you which it is  :)

Adept

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2003, 19:14 »

it just says that it is firewalled beside the icon in the network connections  window.

Ah, I see. XP's firewall :-\. The good news is that you are firewalled, but the bad news is it is for incoming connections only. With this type of firewall a trojan can install itself onto your PC and you wouldn't know it.

Do you have anti-virus software installed? If so make sure that it is up-to-date. If not go heer and download one of the free ones now. While you are at it, look here and get yourself a decent firewall too. The jury is out on which is best. Many people find ZoneAlarm OK and others have problems with it. Sygate is another good one.

Offline adamdaly

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2003, 19:40 »
yeah i have norman av, i've been trying to up-grade it but the connection keeps dropping with their server.

adamdaly

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum