Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Hypothetical Question on sound  (Read 2806 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Hypothetical Question on sound
« on: December 28, 2003, 22:05 »
Ok here's one for you..When I watch a DVD on the pc the sound is very muted or so it seems,even the washing machine drowns it out.
If Im listening to a music cd..its so loud its unbearable is it something to do with the DVD?? or the way the film is configured.

Just wondered thats all

Dang I must remember to prof read before posting  ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Hypothetical Question on sound
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 22:09 »
I think its the level on the dvds Hooky, as I find with some Divx cds the sound level can vary immensely from one to another but most bought or rented dvds seem a little more consistant  :)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 22:11 »
But is there anyway I can change it... seems pointless in having a decent DVD and not getting the benefit of some decent sound tracks  :-\

Adept

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 22:13 »
I've noticed a similar effect with RealPlayer. Even though the volume control is on maximum within the RealPlayer software, the sound is muted compared to the same file played in Media Player. Just one of those things I suppose :-\

Does your DVD software have a volume control?

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 22:20 »
Using Power DVD and the sound is 100%.. must be just one of those things.

Adept

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2003, 22:22 »
If you ever find an answer let me know; perhaps I can get RealPlayer to work properly then ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 23:11 »
The dynamic range on DVD soundtracks is much greater than on music CDs.  Therefore, the quieter bits are quieter, and the loud bits are usually MUCH LOUDER!!  Have you tried finding a loud part of the film, to see if the volume comes up, Hook?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 19:01 »
Ok.. I think I have found out some info..phewww talk about going round the houses  ;D

The signal from your DVD player, when it is playing a DVD, goes directly through the motherboard to the sound card. (This is good) The sound stays in the digital format until the sound card gets ahold of it, then converts it into an analog signal for the speakers. When a CD is put into the DVD player, the signal is sent to the sound card via wire. There usually 2 connections on the back of a DVD player. One is a digital CD out; the other is an analog out. If it is the analog signal then the DVD player is putting out too strong of a signal to the sound card. (A digital signal can't be too loud) My guess as to the solution your volume problem; pull off the case and see which is connected. The digital wire uses 2-wires, the analog uses 3 sometimes 4. Look at your sound card instruction manual and find the CD-IN port on the card (internal) and hook it up. You can then go into sound properties and add the CD Digital to your volume controls and adjust it however you want. Since the CD player will be the only input on that line, the volumes of other sounds will not be effected.

Hook the Star  8)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 21:42 »
Found another1 here http://forum.digital-digest.com/archive/topic/13782-1.html on the subject.

Bit scared on hacking old Reg tho  ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum