Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Graphics card update ?  (Read 670 times)

Offline Pwilsonscott

Graphics card update ?
« on: December 30, 2003, 02:03 »
I am considering updating my graphics card which is an ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB card to a 128 MB card. Do you think this could help with the previous issues i have mentioned under Software related issues when some games are minimised occasionally, although when thy do run, they seem to work fine. I have seen mentioned elsewhere on your site that some cards are not fully compatible with Direct X 9.0, and i think it is those games which use it that i have most problems with. Thanks

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Graphics card update ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 11:27 »
Not sure if it will help with your problem, PWS, but if you are thinking of upgrading, the 128Mb ATI Radion 9600 looks like this:

# 128MB DDR memory accelerates the latest 3D games

# Double Data Rate memory removes hardware performance bottleneck and provides end users with faster 3D graphics

# Industry's only 4-pipeline graphics solution in its 2nd generation, providing twice the rendering power of any currently competing product.

# Supports the new AGP 8X standard, providing a high-speed link between the graphics board and the rest of the PC (2.0 GB/sec)

# First to fully support DirectX® 9.0 and the latest OpenGL® functionality

# VIVO (Video-in & Video-Out) Optional

# New SMARTSHADER? 2.1 technology allows users to experience complex, movie-quality effects in next-generation 3D games and applications

# SMOOTHVISION? 2.1 technology enhances image quality by removing jagged edges and bringing out fine texture detail, without compromising performance

# 128-bit floating-point color precision allows for a greater range of colors and brightness

# Unique VIDEOSHADER? engine uses programmable pixel shaders to accelerate video processing and provide better-looking visuals

# ATI's new FULLSTREAM? technology removes blocky artifacts from Streaming and Internet video and provides sharper image quality.

A slightly cheaper option might be the GeForce FX 5200[/u] which has the following specs:

CineFX Engine
Powers cinematic effects beyond imagination. With advanced vertex and pixel shader capabilities, stunning and complex special effects are possible. In addition, increased horsepower delivers faster and smoother gameplay.

High-Precision Graphics
By combining the incredible dynamic range of today's state-of-the-art 3D motion pictures with 128-bit studio-precision colour, the GeForce FX GPUs bring you the industry?s best image quality for the most demanding applications.

AGP 8X
Provides double the bandwidth of AGP 4X?2.1GB/sec. vs. 1.1BG/sec. AGP 8X enables more complex models and detailed textures, creating richer and more lifelike environments. Uninterrupted data flow allows for smoother video streaming and faster, more seamless gameplay.

nView Multi-display Technology
The nView hardware and software technology combination delivers maximum flexibility for multi-display options, and provides unprecedented end-user control of the desktop experience.

Digital Vibrance Control (DVC)
Allows the user to adjust colour controls digitally to compensate for the lighting conditions of their workspace, in order to achieve accurate, bright colours in all conditions. Currently this feature is not available on Mac systems.

* Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Optimizations and Support
      Ensures the best performance and application compatibility for all DirectX 9 applications.

* OpenGL® 1.4 Optimizations and Support
      Ensures the best performance and application compatibility for all OpenGL applications.

* Integrated TV Encoder
      Provides best-of-class TV-out functionality for resolutions up to 1024x768.

* Integrated Full Hardware MPEG-2 Decoder
      Delivers full-frame, full-screen MPEG-2 video on your desktop.

* New 64-phase Video Scaler
      Highest quality for scaling DVD and other video to full-screen HDTV resolutions.

* DVI Support
      Able to drive the industry's largest and highest resolution flat-panel displays with up to 1600x1200 resolution.

* 350MHz RAMDACs
      Supports QXGA displays with ergonomic refresh rates.

* Architected for Cg
      Ensures that the newest, cutting-edge special effects in applications will run flawlessly. Speeds up content creation so game developers can get their new games out to PC users faster than ever before.

* Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
      Guarantees forward and backward compatibility with software drivers. Simplifies upgrading to a new NVIDIA product because all NVIDIA products work with the same driver software.

Of course, these are fairly mid priced graphics cards - you can pay an awful lot more, and I suppose you get what you pay for, but personally, I have never found the need to go for one of the more expensive (£150-£300) models.  Please don't take the above as personal recommendations, PWS, as I have not used either of them myself.  I just thought the information might be useful.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Pwilsonscott

Re:Graphics card update ?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 16:10 »
Thank-you. The advert for my system states a 64Mb Radeon ATI 9200 graphics card, but the supplier tells me i have a 128 Mb Radeon 9200SE card which is confirmed when i run dxdiag.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum