Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Network two computers for gaming!  (Read 1404 times)

Offline twiggy

Network two computers for gaming!
« on: December 30, 2003, 16:14 »
I have tow computers here one older system and newer one. I wont to network them so i can play games aginst my family mates ect. My older system has a networking card but my newer one hasn't so im off to the comp fair tonigth to buy one. What will i need? i iwll be getting one pci networking card (10/100) and about 5m of cable. but i have heard there different types of cable for idfferent types of cards can anyone fill me in? also one of the computers is on win98 and other on xp could i still network them? if any one could get bk to me beofre 5 that would be great thanks.

Mark

Offline twiggy

Re:Network two computers for gaming!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 16:23 »
please note i have never done any networking before!!!!!

;D

Adept

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 16:32 »
You should have no problems networking 98 to XP Twiggy :)

If you are networking two PCs together only, you will need a cross-over Cat5e patch cable. If you want to connect more than two PCs, then you will need a straight-through patch cable for each PC and a hub or switch to connect the cables from each PC together.

If you need any help setting up the software, don't hesitate to get back to us :)

Offline twiggy

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 17:04 »
i'm leaving in half an hour so i will just get one of those cables and i will get two networking cards just incase. I'm sure i will be getting back to you about connecting them because i have never done that before. Why im away could someone please go over what i need to do after i have installed the cards and placed the wire in!

thanks Mark

Offline twiggy

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 17:06 »
sorry if you didnt get the last tihng i said i ment just a little information like sofware or how to set the computers up?

thanks Mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 17:24 »
Just run the network connection wizard on XP Mark and follow the instructions  :)

Offline twiggy

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 17:28 »
what about the computer on windows 98?

thanks mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 17:35 »
It asks you when you run the wizard if you want to save the details to a floppy, say yes and run the floppy in the 98 pc  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum