Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows device manager  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Aaron

Windows device manager
« on: January 06, 2004, 22:58 »
My sister very nice and bought me a new CD writer for Christmas.  Excellent I thought no more 8x here I come 52x but no. Our good old friend windows had other ideas....
The device manager no longer sees the CD writer or DVD reader as what they are but as unknown.  That is they are both under the category of unknown the devices themselves are still listed as DVD and Cd-RW.  Nero doesn't see the writer, neither does the inbuilt XP Pro writing software.  However a program I use to convert avi files to mpegs (for use on my DVD player) automatically writes to CD after the convertion works fine.  There is nothing wrong with the writer itself I just need to convince Windows.  Any help would be appriciated.  
I use windows xp pro sp1 the writer is a generic 52/32/52

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Windows device manager
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 23:37 »
Have you tried uninstalling it in Device Manager, reboot and let Windows find it again?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Aaron

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 00:18 »
Yes. Several times in fact.  I have tried all the basics.  Any other ideas??

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 00:39 »
Could be something as simple as the Version of Nero you have being an OEM version and so bundled with a drive. Removing the drive would cause the license check in Nero to fail and so it wouldn't see the drive.

This in turn could conflict with the Roxio/XP software.

Also worth checking the configuration of the DVD and CD drive and possibly changing master and slave designation.

Could also be down to DMA issues - if you have a look at the properties for the Secondary IDE controller and then have a look at the advanced settings - see if the DMA modes match.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 00:40 »
Have you got the jumpers set correctly as master and slave ?
If so maybe try setting them up the other way round or putting one on a different IDE if you can  ???

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 20:54 »
In my opinion:

- There might be a problem in the CD writer itself,
- Or try to check again it's wires if they are rightly connected and very well inserted.
- If not, maybe it's worthy to formate your HDD and reinstall Windows XP again on it.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 00:52 »
If your Nero software came bundled with another model recorder, then you may have an OEM Bundle which will only work with the Recorder it came bundled with. You can confirm this by going to Neros Help>About to see if it reports something like Nero 5.5.9.14 Bundled, or Yamaha, TDK, Memorex, etc. If this is the case, then you must purchase an upgrade from OEM to Retail version of Nero for 39,99 Euro from our website to support all model recorders.
Also, if your Recorder is not seen by your system, Nero will not be able to see it either. Please check to make sure that your PC recognized the recorder and that it has been installed properly. You can go to Start -> Control Panel --> Device manager then the appropriate menu to see if your hardware was installed correctly or not. Or just place a Data CD in the Recorder to see if you can read it from the drive, or an Audio CD to see if you are able to play the audio CD from it If not, then you must first resolve this before you can use Nero/Nero Express/NeroVision Express with the drive.

Note: Please check the Nero website at www.nero.com for the latest drivers, updates, and a list of currently supported recorders.

Brian 8)
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum