Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Fsb?  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Tarp

• New Registration
Fsb?
« on: January 14, 2004, 01:09 »
I was wondering what the front side bus speed does to help your computer. The newer pentiums have about 800 but others have only 333. I'm just a little confused.
nytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someones neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Fsb?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 01:18 »
The newer FSBs are faster, so a 266 is faster than a 200, then they had the 333 then the 400 and now as you said the 800.
Each is a new development along with faster CPUs and RAM.
The higher the FSB then the faster the PC is but to get the best performance then it needs the same speed RAM and the CPU to be compatable, unfortunately todays fastest thing is very expensive and is tomorrows has been.
If you try and keep up with the newest developments then you need to have very deep pockets  :)

Offline Tarp

• New Registration
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 04:16 »
yeah the new amd 64 has 1600 fsb, but it is a lot of money. i was going to get a new mother board and cpu but i would end having to buy a lot of new parts and my computer would be out-dated by then. so i am going to just get a barebone kit and build from there.
nytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someones neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 04:20 »
Its a bit like buying the latest model of a new car, if you get the old model just after the new "facelifted" one comes out you can get them a lot cheaper and it will probably perform almost as well   ;)

Offline dcys02647

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 17:11 »

The newer FSBs are faster, so a 266 is faster than a 200, then they had the 333 then the 400 and now as you said the 800.
Each is a new development along with faster CPUs and RAM.
The higher the FSB then the faster the PC is but to get the best performance then it needs the same speed RAM and the CPU to be compatable, unfortunately todays fastest thing is very expensive and is tomorrows has been.
If you try and keep up with the newest developments then you need to have very deep pockets  :)
:good: A simple explanation of what it is would be :- The oscillator speed that is used for your "cards", memory ect. It is then multiplied up to your processor speed. ie an 800fsb with a 3X multiplier would give would give you a 2.4gig machine.

But as Sandra said, there is more to it than that.

I am told that the best balance between cost & performance @ the moment is to build a 2.4gig but make sure the pro'r has the "widest bus" available
& the latest multi threading.

This is only an opinion!. Do as you are & research for your self before doing anything. Find the balance that suits your pocket.
oses are red, oranges aren't!, but what colour are kumquats?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum