Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: again already - heeeeelllpppp  (Read 16735 times)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
again already - heeeeelllpppp
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2005, 20:39 »
Thanks to you all - you do understand also that - it is running fine and lovely - seems to be no problems at all and start up is quicker than before (I've put norton internet security on this time).

So now I'm wondering should I just leave it until I find I do have a problem?  :drown:  :dunce:  :hammer:

It does bug me having those exclaimation marks in device driver though. cos it does mean something is missing.  Yeah and one of those must be the wifi as I can't find it on here at all.

PS
Oh there's nothing else on the disc, its a mesh (spit) recovery disc only and device driver wizard can't find anything.

pps I really need an emoticons I can use for mesh (spit)  :laugh:
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2005, 20:42 »
Trust me Michelle, have I ever steered you wrong  :wink:

You can always restore or roll the drivers back if theres a problem but the correct drivers should be better than none or the incorrect ones  :)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2005, 20:43 »
I take it you used a proper copy of windows then Shell and not that Mesh infested version?  :pcpunch:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2005, 20:48 »
Quote from: "Sandra"
Trust me Michelle, have I ever steered you wrong  :wink:

:)

blimey that was quick ....

No never, well only on that film I was going to watch :lol:

Actually I'm just downloading them now, I thought well it won't hurt to download them ready.  :laugh:

I only have a mesh infested version cammy :-)  Actually though all the mesh adverts that were on it when I first got it are now gone, they were all over the desktop and fings.  :shock:  :laugh:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2005, 21:03 »
Glad to hear it's all running fine  :thumb:

Ok time for Big Brother  :boogie:  :boogie:  :grin:  :grin:  :scoot:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2005, 16:49 »
So thats odd ............. it all went TU again!  

Everything was fine, I hadn't loaded those driver files. Infact I'd done nothing, norton came up with a few things gone wrong - dunno why but still everything was working.  

Until I booted up when I got in from work and .............. it wouldn't boot up? it kept restarting and doing a scan and the restarting, the scan found somethings which it corrected, but it still wouldn't boot up? Even safe mode got so far and then restarted, same with last known config.

So I put in the repair disc again........  :evil:  And it started and when it did it said that the repair disc had repaired a problem with the registry ???  

How on earth????????

So its okay again now, I think I'll just never turn it off lol

I think I'll run those drivers now, maybe its because those aren't in it got unstable.

OH AND ......... the display drivers have uninstalled themselves, they are not there anymore? So I have this big screen thing going on again?

Mesh (spit)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2005, 17:21 »
Are you sure you haven't got some sort of virus?  When you installed Norton, did you get all the updates and do a full scan?  It sometimes takes several runs of Live Update to get them all.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2005, 17:26 »
Michelle go into Sytem Properties (Windows key + Pause/Break) then Advanced, Startup and Recovery   Settings.
Untick Automatically Restart.

Hopefully that will stop it doing the restart and scan each time for a minor glitch  :)

Maybe you should be having a word with Mesh and telling them that you are having these unusual problems and that maybe somethings incompatible inside the pc ?

Dont tell them that youre a blonde though  :shock:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2005, 13:09 »
Okay am gonna cry now  :cry:

restalled some of the drivers - restarted ....... can't do a thing now!!

Once it came up with an error message 0x00000024 which seems to refer to the ntfs (is it) sys file ...... it says do a chdsk and it should right itself.  So I did that, and now I don't get the error message but it still won't start up.

You know when its starting the reinstall it says press f6 if you have a serial sata to install the driver from a floppy. I took no notice of that cos mine is ata but it seems they are the same thing?   So I've been looking for that driver the only thing I could find is that raid thing that you sent sandra, but when I installed that it said it already had it?

Does anyone have any idea's or is it time to ring technical @ £1 a min  :shock:  I think I might have to anyway cos I guess if they can't sort it they will then say I can bring it in for repair.

Oh on one restart it said something about a prob with registry too?  so it seems to be telling me different things each time.

:cry:

ps I didn't see your message til it was too late sandra

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2005, 14:34 »
Hi Michelle,
It does seem as if theres something seriously wrong with that pc  :(

I wonder if you could demand your money back saying that it wasnt of merchantisable quailty and get a different pc from somewhere else  :?
How long have you actually had it now ?

In the meantime have you tried doing the system restore from the dos prompt that we found out about earlier ?

You say that you have a serial sata, I think you are getting confused over the terminolgy.
All drives are ATA (without complicating things with SCSI  :)  ), the older types were parallel the newer ones are serial.
As there were only parallel ata ones they were simply called ATA, now that there are two kinds the newer ones are called SATA.

I cant see how it was working ok if you didnt have the SATA drivers installed but I have come across this :

Any rate you will need to extract the drivers from the support CD that came with the MB and put them on a floppy. During the install, it will say to press F6 to install any SCSI or 3rd party RAID drivers. This is where you will need the floppy with the drivers. You will need to load the drivers for the Intel ICH6R controller and the ITE 8212F RAID controllers for Windows to detect the drives.

We have already explored your cd so it looks like you may have to contact Mesh to get the motherboard CD, which hopefully wil have the drivers on.
I have had a quick look for them on the ASUS site but cant find them yet.
I will continue looking and if I find them give you the link  :)

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2005, 14:59 »
A question sandra?

since she has a legal copy of windows could she use a good but non legal copy to install windows and then use her registration numbers

they can be found that do have all the drivers
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2005, 15:11 »
I dont think so Davy as it would need activating and I dont think that the numbers would match  :?

MS really did complicate things when they introduced the security measures with XP.

The fault really lies with Mesh and other pc manufacturers who dont supply a full version of XP and just supply teh restore ones. :roll:

They should really supply the motherboard and driver cds for all supplied equipment as a matter of course without having to request them  :(

I think that this may be what you need Michelle, although I am not 100% certain and am not sure if it wil install at this stage but if you do get the F6 option as it reboots its probably worth trying.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=1809&DwnldID=8225&strOSs=45&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Home%20Edition&lang=eng

Good luck  :)

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2005, 15:31 »
It was just a sugestion sandra i have a copy here with registration numbers that allows me to download from microsoft itself

thought it might work
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2005, 15:36 »
It may do but as I said its so tied up with matching numbers usually that even if I have tried installing over the top with a legal version over a pirate or vice versa it seems to know and wont allow it  :(

Also I think with Michelles mobo being a relatively new one that even a copy of XP inc SP2 may not have the drivers she needs, although they should have been on the windows update site I would have thought  :(

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2005, 16:27 »
Thanks sandra I'll try that - yes I was getting confused over the sata ata thing .... I still am!

The recovery option didn't work at the recovery prompt. I restored it the last time I actually got it working again, when I lost the drivers and it was fine until I added more drivers and rebooted.  

okay I'll just try this other option before I ring them, cheers.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum