Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Cannot Connect to ISP.New Account Not working  (Read 1497 times)

Offline zephra

Cannot Connect to ISP.New Account Not working
« on: February 03, 2006, 00:04 »
My brother in law got a old computer on windows 98.He signed up for Charter High Speed.I can not connect his computer.His Nic Card has no conflicts under device manager.It apperars to be good.I tried to set him up To connect through LAN and that looks ok.He tried the Software CD that came from Charter and It only works on 98SE.Which he does Not have.When I go to IE it automaticly redirects to Charter's self installation site and we can't accept the licesnce agreement because his Video driver is not loaded and I do not have the driver cd and This screen will not let you scroll down for some Reason.I can though ping his IP Adrress.
     The Charter tech came down today and ssaid he had a bad signal and fixed it and his little "box" said it was ok now.Yet he could not get past this issue that we are experiencing.When I got charter set up at my place a year ago I had a self install cd and I told the Tech I did not want additonal software and he called the front office and I had internet.
         Does this sound like a DNS DHCP issue?This is not my forte.
                    Thanks,

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 13:21 »
Standard 98 had networking issues which 98 SE resolved, I believe.

I dont know your ISP, Charter High Speed, but I assume thats its broadband.
What are the specifications of the pc, some ISPs require a minumum CPU speed and a minimum amount of RAM to be able to use their services.

Although if the PC was below the required spefications then the tech should have said that  :(

Offline zephra

ISP
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 22:42 »
Yes it is broadband.Windows 98 128mb Ram 400mhz proc.
Charter has easy set up software that only works on win98se or higher.I know this software is not required to set up.When I had mine setup last year i refused to install the software and the tech called the front office and i was a set.
      The weird thing is I hooked up my computer to his modem and I cannot connect.I have Charter at home. I also haveed up my computer ok at my mother's house who also has charter

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 23:52 »
The pc should run BB ok then I should think.

Are you connecting through a modem or a router ?

Do you know if you should be on PPPoA or PPPoE and can you check the settings that youre on ?

Offline zephra

pppp
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 00:31 »
Not sure what a ppp is sandra?Connected through a modem.@ home i use a router and at my mothers house.

Offline zephra

charter communications
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 00:37 »
Dynamic or PPPoE.this is what i get about charter when i google.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 01:16 »
Most UK ISPs use PPPoA, but I think PPPoE is more common over on the other side of the pond.

Dynamic or Static shouldnt matter.

If you go into the settings for the modem does it give you an option to set it to PPPoA ?

Offline zephra

Brought Computer Home
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 19:30 »
I brought this computer Home.I have Charter High Speed.I did a clean install of windows SE.The NIC Driver is working No issues.I set up connecting to a LAN.I keep on getting this page cannot be displayed.I get nothing when I go Ipconfig.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 00:06 »
Are you on a router or an ethernet modem ?

It sounds as if youre on a router and its not set to DHCP and enabling it to assign an IP.

Have you got it set to automatically detect settings under your LAN properties in your network connections folder ?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum